Snus Recommendations: Non-PMI / Non-Swedish Match Edition. 27 September 2024.

I recently wrote an article about some news I had received about the US market.  At some point, PMI is planning to stop allowing e-stores to sell PMI / Swedish Match products to the US.  This includes a LOT of products.  For me personally, about 95% of my daily usage is Swedish Match snus.  Over the past month, I've been trying out a lot of different products to develop a new rotation for myself, and to work on this article.  I did a video of it over on Snus Adventures, as well.  So, if/when this comes to pass, I wanted to have an article prepared for recommendations for each flavor category/product made by Swedish Match.  If you have a product you like of theirs, hopefully I'll be able to help you find a replacement in this article!

Floral / Herbal / Outdoorsy Flavors
This flavor category contains products that have the outdoorsy types of tastes, flowers, herbs, things of that nature.

Products:  Kronan Original, Kronan Original Stark, Kronan White, Kronan White Stark, One Grey.

Suggestion:  I suggest trying out Lundgren's Skåne Slim White.  It has a nice, outdoorsy type of flavor with herbs and flowers and a little Swedish forest berry.

Fruity / Berry Flavors
This flavor category contains flavors of fruits and berries, and covers quite a few brands.

Products:  G3 Rize, Göteborgs Rapé Lingon, Jakobsson's Melon Original, Jakobsson's Melon White Mini, Jakobsson's Melon White Slim, Kaliber Original (Lingon), Kaliber+ Original (Lingon), One Red, XRANGE Apple, XRANGE Stone Fruit.  

Suggestions:  One I'd suggest is Knox Red.  It has a nice, lightly sweet, fruity red berry taste.  Also, Skruf Tranbär (Cranberry) is pretty good, and a little more mild/less sweet.  If you can't get Skruf or Knox products, consider checking out The Moose Canadian Cherry, which has a nice cherry/violet flavor.

Juniper Flavors
One of the more popular flavors Swedish Match makes, this was a bit of a challenging one to find replacements for!

Products:  Göteborgs Rapé Original, Göteborgs Rapé White, Göteborgs Rapé White Mini, One Blue, XRANGE Göteborgs Rapé White, XRANGE Göteborgs Rapé White Strong

Suggestions:  There honestly aren't a lot of these out there.  The main suggestion I'd make is Knox Blue, this is about the closest you can get to GR.  After that, perhaps Vårgårda Skog, which has a mix of juniper and pine to it.

Licorice Flavors
Licorice flavors are abundant in the world of snus, so this wasn't a super challenging one to check into.

Products:  Catch Licorice Mini, Catch Licorice White Large, Catch Licorice White Mini, G3 Load, Kaliber Salmiak White, Kapten Salmiak Mini Vit, Kapten Salmiak Vit, Kapten Salmiak X-Stark, R42 Red Licorice

Suggestions:  For me, I highly suggest LD Salmiak.   I'm more partial to the white portion version, but the original portion is good as well!

Menthol/Eucalyptus Flavors
This isn't a super common flavor in the snus world.

Products:  Catch Eucalyptus White Large, Catch Eucalyptus White Mini, R42 Polar Ice

Suggestions:  None.  Honestly, no one else makes this flavor.  Oden's used to make a menthol snus, but I haven't seen it in years.  

Mint - Mint Blend Flavor
This is a category that includes more complex mint flavors.

Products:  Jakobsson's Mint Original, Kapten Frostmint, Nick & Johnny Crushed Ice Original, Nick & Johnny Crushed Ice White, R42 Green Mint

Suggestions:  The main one I'd suggest for a more complex mint taste is going to be Oden's Double Mint.  They have quite a few strengths/formats of this one but I'd suggest Oden's Double Mint Slim White Dry, because it's the least strong one I can find online.

Mint - Peppermint
This category includes flavors that are more straightforward peppermint.

Products:  G3 POW, G3 Sway, G3 Wink, Kapten Mint Mini Vit, Kapten Mint Vit, Kapten Mint X-Stark Vit, Offroad X, R42 Cool Mint, R42 Peppermint

Suggestions:  There's a few I'd suggest here.  If you want a sweeter one, check out The Moose Mint.  If you want a less sweet one, Skruf Slim Fresh is a good option.

Mint - Spearmint
This category includes flavors that are more straightforward spearmint.

Products:  Catch Spearmint White Mini, Nick & Johnny Green Ice, R42 White

Suggestions:  I use a lot of Green Ice, and that is a hard one to replace.  There really aren't a lot of spearmint products out there that aren't mega strong.  The closest I can get is Oden's Cold Slim Extreme White Dry, but even that one is 14mg per portion.

Misc Flavors
This is all the random / unique flavors.

Products:  G3 Wire, Jakobsson's Cola Original, Jakobsson's Cola White Slim, Nick & Johnny Red Hot, Nick & Johnny Americana

Suggestions:  I think I'll just go flavor by flavor here.  If you like G3 Wire, which has an energy drink taste, there's really not a replacement for that one.  Also, same for cola flavors, no one else really makes those in a snus.  If you like Red Hot, the only other cinnamon flavor out there is Oden's 59, which is good if you can find it (it's frequently sold out).  If you like Nick and Johnny Americana, I'd suggest The Moose Canadian Cherry, which has a similar flavor.  

Tobacco Flavors
This is all the products with a taste of tobacco.

Products:  Ettan Original, Ettan White, Grov Original, Grov Stark, Grov White, Lab 02, Lab 05, Lab 06, Lab 07, R42 Classic White, Tre Ankare.

Suggestions:  These are hard flavors to replace.  You can get close, but some are hard to replace.  If you like Ettan, you'll have to make your own to get close.  You'll need to get a Snusroom kit with their Attan flavor.  If you want something close to Grov, you'll need to get a Snusroom kit with their Geranium flavor.  Now, in general, if you like tobacco flavors, I'd suggest perhaps Brukssnus Original Portion, or Islay Whisky Original Portion, both have a nice tobacco taste.

Traditional/Bergamot Flavors
This is the traditional, classic taste of snus.

Products:  G3 Slim Original ES, G3 Slim White ES, G3 Strong Super Slim, General Extra Strong Original, General Original, General Original Mini, General White, General White Mini, Kaliber White
Kaliber+ White, Kapten ES Vit, Kapten Original Portion, Kapten Original Stark, Kapten Vit, Kapten Vit Mini, Kapten Vit Stark, One Original, One White, XRANGE General Original, XRANGE General White, XRANGE General White Strong

Suggestions:  There are a lot of traditional flavors out there.  So, I tried out as many as possible to develop ones that I would like to use myself.  For me, the ones that came out on top were Skruf Original, Skruf White, and LD White.  I also threw Granit Original into the mix and found it to be pretty decent.

Wintergreen Flavors
The classic, southern taste of wintergreen!

Products:  Jakobsson's Wintergreen White Slim, Jakobsson's Wintergreen Original

Suggestions:  There aren't a lot of these out there, but a few I'd recommend would be The Moose Wintergreen, or perhaps Oden's Wintergreen Slim White Dry.

Loose Snus / Lössnus
The traditional, classic, original form of snus enjoyment!

Products:  Ettan Loose, General Extra Strong Loose, General Loose, Grov Loose, Göteborgs Rapé Loose, Kronan Loose, Mustang Loose (Lingon), Prima Fint Loose

Suggestions:  There aren't many loose products left out there, but a few I'd recommend.  First, if you want an unflavored tobacco loose (like Prima Fint), I'd suggest Snusroom's DIY loose, but with no added flavor.   Brukssnus Loose is also quite good, if you can find it.  For more traditional flavors, I'd recommend Oden's Original Loose, Oden's No3 Loose, Skruf Stark Loose, and Granit Loose.

Wrap-Up / Final Thoughts

I spent the past month making my notes and thinking on this, so I hope this helps.  As of right now, Swedish Match / PMI products are still available online to the US.  But, someday they may not be.  So, this is in preparation of what may come!

If you want to see my personal journey with this, and what I ended up settling on, check out my video on this subject! 
 

Comments