04 November 2014

Camel "SNUS" Mint - Review. 4 November 2014.

Disclaimer: Granted, I do write about American "SNUS" and "snus" from time to time, but the focus of my blog/website is introducing people to REAL Swedish Snus. When it comes to snus, REAL Snus comes from Sweden. There's a difference, and the difference is big. Please read this article to learn the difference for yourself. It's the reason, in American "snus" articles, I put "snus" in quotation marks, because they call it "snus", but it's not REAL snus.

That being said, I'm going to review Camel Mint "SNUS" today.  This product has been around for a while now, but in the spirit of completion, I have to review this so I can say that I did.  I do it for you guys - it's not something I want to do, but I want it out there.  Plus, people looking for info on Camel Mint "SNUS" will find this article and I can hopefully convince them to switch to REAL Swedish Snus.

Though I’m not a fan of American “SNUS”, I have reviewed all of the flavors of Camel “SNUS” - Frost (Regular Size), Frost (Large Size), Mellow, Robust, Winterchill and Mint.

If you've read my blog long, you know I like to compare American "SNUS" products to REAL Swedish Snus when I review them. So, as I usually do, I cut open a portion of American Camel "SNUS" and Swedish Nick & Johnny Strong to compare the tobacco.  Camel "SNUS" has improved in quality since 2009, but that's not saying much.  They still use, as you can see, a low grade tobacco that doesn't have as much moisture as Swedish Snus.  Also, they fail to deliver a substantial amount of nicotine, which as I've mentioned before, makes their product a supplement and not a replacement.  As their ad campaign says, "When you can't smoke, "SNUS" instead.", they want you to buy their "SNUS" and their cigarettes.  The actual usable nicotine (free nicotine) of Camel "SNUS" is so low, that it fails at helping people quit smoking.  It's why I always suggest people to switch to REAL Swedish Snus.  I can thank RJ Reynolds, however.  They put a lot of money into advertising and helped raise awareness for snus, which is good!  Because once people turn to the internet looking for more info, they find out about REAL Swedish Snus - even better!

If you're a Swedish Snus user, I wanted to share this photo just to do a size comparison. You can see that Camel "SNUS" is longer than an Original/White portion, and more slim.  There's not much tobacco in the portions either.

From Left to Right: Nick and Johnny Original Portion, Goteborg's Rape White Slim, Camel Mint "SNUS".
Now, let's get down to talking about this "snus". Upon opening the can, you can detect the smell of peppermint, but it's kind of off.  It's hard to put into words, but if I had to use a word I'd say it's "musty".  The flavor isn't much better.  I was trying to find a way to explain it, but it's a kind of dirty taste of peppermint.  I imagine if somebody had an after dinner peppermint and rolled it around in the dirt and covered it with a pound of sugar, that's the taste that this would have.  I think that's probably the tobacco contributing to that flavor, though.  No matter how much sugar you add to your "SNUS", RJ Reynolds, if you keep using low grade tobacco it's going to taste horrible.  As I mentioned earlier, there's hardly any nicotine to speak of, it's not even noticeable.  The flavor doesn't last very long and after removing a portion you get to experience my least favorite part of using Camel "SNUS" - that horrible aftertaste.  It's this disgusting, sickeningly sweet flavor that lingers around for quite some time.  I had to brush my teeth again, mouthwash, and use a Swedish strong portion to get that flavor out of my mouth.  It's quite unpleasant. I will say this, if you're into the mint flavor, we recently did an article on the best Swedish Snus mint flavors that would be worth checking out. I assure you, they're much better!

So, there you go.  Camel Mint "SNUS".  If you're coming to this blog for the first time, I strongly urge you to read our article on the differences between American "SNUS" vs Swedish Snus. If you're in the USA, most people can buy REAL Swedish Snus locally, or you can purchase online, which I suggest because you get the largest variety of flavors. We wrote an article about buying online called "How To Purchase Snus And Save Money" which shows you that even buying online you can get Swedish Snus for the same price as you would find American "SNUS" (with shipping included!) and cheaper than smoking. So I strongly urge you, if this is the first you're hearing about Swedish Snus, check out our Snus FAQ and switch over to REAL Swedish Snus. It's much better!

6 comments:

  1. I don't think you'll win many Camel users over by telling them they have bad taste. Indeed, Camel snus is well suited to American tastes. There is nothing wrong with either product. The last Swedish product I tried tasted like an old tea bag, but I didn't proclaim it evil, I just decided it wasn't the thing for me. Perhaps a better angle may be something like, "Hey, if you like Camel snus, you'll love this!" Just make sure it doesn't taste like grandma's leftover Earl Grey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. falmanac -

    Thank you for your comment and sharing your opinion! I do have to, respectfully, disagree with you. I've been able to help lots of people switch over from Camel "SNUS" to REAL Swedish Snus by helping them see what else is out there. From day one of starting this website/blog 5 years ago I vowed to always be honest when sharing my opinions. And I accept that they are just that, my opinions, and not everyone will agree with me. I'm okay with that.

    It's very rare that I encounter anyone who tries Swedish Snus and goes back to Camel "SNUS". I've heard maybe 10 people of the thousands I've spoken with over the past 5 years say it wasn't for them. It's not very common at all.

    I'm not telling anyone they have bad taste, by any means. My reviews says that Camel "SNUS" tastes bad. And that's my opinion from reviewing hundreds of different snus products over the past 5 years, Camel "SNUS" ranks firmly at the bottom for me. People may disagree, and that's fine.

    As an advocate for harm reduction and helping people quit smoking by switching to snus, I cannot, in good conscience, recommend Camel "SNUS" to anyone. It's a poor product with low grade tobacco and a nicotine amount that is virtually nonexistent. If I am to advocate for harm reduction, I am going to continue suggesting better products that I've seen have a high success rate in helping people quit smoking, and unfortunately Camel "SNUS" doesn't deliver those results.

    Thanks for reading, and thanks for sharing your comments!

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's the rub, "real Swedish snus," is just that, and American snus is something else, much like English and American pipe tobaccos. But, I guess we can agree to disagree. Either way, I'm a fan of Snubie.com, and hope it enjoys a long run.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the thing that always bothered me most was how they approached snus. I wrote this article in 2010 - http://chadizzy1.blogspot.com/2010/07/camel-snus-ad-has-rjr-lost-their-mind.html - about an ad that RJ Reynolds ran about Camel "SNUS". They go so far as to say "We're not saying we invented the stuff, we're just saying we perfected it."

      Delete
  4. I know this is an old blog butt I grabbed a can of this trash and to all the older people it taste like certs mints

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know this is an old blog butt I grabbed a can of this trash and to all the older people it taste like certs mints

    ReplyDelete