06 October 2009

Camel "SNUS" Mellow - Review. 9 July 2015.

Disclaimer: Granted, I do write about American "SNUS" and "snus" from time to time, but the focus of my blog/website is introducing people to REAL Swedish Snus. When it comes to snus, REAL Snus comes from Sweden. There's a difference, and the difference is big. Please read this article to learn the difference for yourself.

It's no secret that I'm not a fan of American "SNUS".  But since I write a snus blog, and I started with this stuff, I want to make sure that I have reviews up of all these products.  The main reason being that people will find this blog and find out about REAL Swedish Snus.  In 2009, when I first discovered Camel "SNUS" trying to find a way to quit smoking, I was disappointed with the taste, quality, and amount of nicotine that Camel "SNUS" delivered.  I went online looking for more information about snus and to find out if there were any better products available.  Thankfully, I discovered Swedish Snus, began ordering online, and was able to quit smoking within a week of switching to REAL Swedish Snus.  If you're new to snus, welcome to a brand new world.  It's my hope that you will make the transition to REAL Swedish Snus and away from American "SNUS".  It's a much better world, I assure you.

Though I’m not a fan of American “SNUS”, I have reviewed all of the flavors of Camel “SNUS” - Frost (Regular Size), Frost (Large Size), Mellow, Robust, Winterchill and Mint.

To kick things off, I want to look at the sizes of Camel "SNUS".  Camel "SNUS" comes in two sizes - regular and large.  Looking at the picture to the right, you'll see (from right to left) Camel "SNUS" Large, Camel Snus Regular, Swedish Snus (General G3) Slim/Long Portion, Swedish Snus (General Mint) Regular White Portion.

Camel "SNUS" Large portions are massive.  I enjoy a Swedish Snus long/slim portion and the regular sized Camel "SNUS" portion is pretty close to it, but the Large size portion is a bit much.  I like a portion to be comfortable and discrete, and the Large portions are a bit much for that.  The regular sized portions are much more comfortable.

The quality of Camel "SNUS" has improved quite a lot from 2009.  The snus is more finely ground and no longer looks like cigarette tobacco.  The moisture, however, is still a problem.  If you look on the far left, you'll see some General Snus from Sweden which has a 50% moisture content.  If I had to guestimate, I would say the Camel "SNUS" has anywhere between 20%-30% moisture content, so it's not as dry as it used to be, but it's not as moist as it should be.  The nicotine is also still an issue.  Looking at Large size Camel "SNUS", more tobacco does not mean more nicotine.  When you look at nicotine, there are two things to look at - total nicotine and free nicotine.  Total nicotine is the amount of nicotine in the portion, and for regular Swedish Snus and Camel "SNUS" it's 8mg/g.  Free nicotine is the amount of nicotine your body can actually use.  General Snus is quite close to their total nicotine, with 6mg/g-7mg/g of free nicotine.  Camel "SNUS", however, is about half of that.  The reason being that RJ Reynolds did not design Camel "SNUS" to be a smoking replacement, but rather a smoking supplement.  Swedish Snus can help you quit smoking, but Camel "SNUS", unfortunately, doesn't have enough nicotine to do that.

Now, on to the review.  This was one of the first snus products I ever tried back in 2009, the other being Camel "SNUS" Frost.  As I mentioned above, the tobacco quality has improved, but the taste hasn't.  When you open a can of Camel Mellow, the aroma that comes through is a mellow (obviously) tobacco smell with a sweet presence to it.  As with most Camel "SNUS" products, the sweet flavor develops before you get any of the tobacco taste.  The tobacco taste is very mild, and not as bold or complex as Camel Robust.  It's a straightforward mild, and overly sweet, tobacco taste.  I have no idea why all that sugar is necessary in the flavor, but it's something that is common with Camel "SNUS".

One of the most common questions I get asked is, "What Swedish Snus tastes like Camel Mellow?"  I usually recommend General Classic Blend, as it is a Swedish Snus that helps bridge the gap between American "SNUS" and REAL Swedish Snus. If you're up for ordering online, another good one to try is Ettan White Portion. You can find a store near you that General Classic Blend via the store locator at GeneralSnus.com.  I definitely suggest trying REAL Swedish Snus, because it is VASTLY better than American Camel "SNUS".

4 comments:

  1. Can you reccomend any Swedish Snus that is similar in flavor characteristics to the Camel Melow?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. http://chadizzy1.blogspot.com/2014/07/swedish-snus-suggestions-25-july-2014.html

      Hope that helps!

      Delete
  2. Don't you think mellow is like a vanilla maple syrup sort of flavor profile... It actually has a nice flavor though I have moved on from it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe something like that. Mellow reminds me of a fig / dates sort-of taste, which I enjoy. It is sweet, which would generally be a turnoff for me, but I enjoy the flavor here.

      Delete