ZeroStyle (Spice and Black Menthol) - Reviews. 2 June 2019.

It seems these products always launch in twos. In September of 2017 I reviewed ZeroStyle Mint and Regular. In November of 2018 I reviewed ZeroStyle Vanilla and Cool Mint. And today, I'm reviewing ZeroStyle Spice and Black Menthol. It also seems each time they launch a mint-type flavor and a regular-type flavor.  If you aren't familiar with ZeroStyle, this is a line of snus made by JTI/Nordic Snus AB for the Japanese market.  When these products launched, this is what the press release said:  "While the majority of consumers in Japan enjoy tobacco in the form of cigarettes, demand is increasing for tobacco products designed to be used in places where consideration needs to be given for those nearby. Zerostyle Snus are snus whose taste, aroma and portion size have been specially developed by JT to meet the preferences of Japanese consumers."

ZeroStyle Black Menthol

I'm not sure of a product/flavor description for these. I couldn't find one listed online. So, I'm basically going by just what I can see and taste. I count 20 portions in the can, and I weighed them out to be 0.3 grams each which would mean a 6 gram can. I don't know what the nicotine content is, however.

It always surprises me how few menthol products are out there. When I was a smoker, I smoked menthol cigarettes and didn't really find that in a snus product. When Oden's Menthol launched a while back, it was exciting to see that flavor. When you open the can, this one very much has that straightforward, cool menthol smell. When you put a portion in your lip, you'll also encounter a cooling presence. The portions are the mini type, and are pretty dry, but not uncomfortable in the lip or anything. The flavor is a refreshing, gentle menthol character. I really don't notice much else, it seems to be mostly menthol. Like with the other one, I use two, and notice the nicotine strength to be about the regular strength level. The flavor seems to last about 40-50 minutes on average.

ZeroStyle Spice

Same as the last one, I couldn't find a flavor description for this one. I also counted 20 portions in the can, and I weighed them out to be 0.3 grams each which would mean a 6 gram can. I don't know what the nicotine content is for this one, either.

Going into this one, I had no idea what to expect. I know that with these products the flavors are designed with the Japanese consumer in mind. I remember back in 2010 I reviewed Chaini Khaini Spice Snus, which is probably the closest thing I can think of to compare this one to. The smell is very aromatic. There is a mild tobacco character, a sweet but light spice presence, and perhaps a little pepper. It reminds me a little of the way incense smells. The portions are small, dry, and discrete. They aren't uncomfortable in the lip, however.  The flavor is very unique and hard to describe.  The "spice" name definitely fits, though.  It's a lightly sweet herbal/spice character.  There is a mild tobacco taste in the background, as well.  I also seem to pick up a gentle pepper tone in the background.  It's really interesting tasting stuff.  When I use this, I use two, and I feel the nicotine strength to be about the regular strength level.  The flavor seems to last about 30-45 minutes on average.

If you're in Japan and wanting to quit smoking, the ZeroStyle line is worth checking out.  It's very unique, that's for sure.

If I had to rank the ones I've had so far, this is how it would look for me:

1.  ZeroStyle: Regular
2.  ZeroStyle: Vanilla
3.  ZeroStyle: Mint
4.  ZeroStyle: Spice
5.  ZeroStyle: Cool Mint
6.  ZeroStyle: Black Menthol

Comments