Grizzly "Snus" - Review. 7 August 2020.

Today's the day, and Grizzly Snus has arrived for review.  A special thanks to our friend Louis in Wisconsin who hooked us up with these for review.  From what I've been seeing, as of right now (August 2020), these are being sold in select markets.  I've heard of people seeing the in Missouri, as well as Wisconsin.  If you're not familiar with Grizzly, it's a brand produced by American Snuff Co.  American Snuff Co is owned by Reynolds American, makers of Camel "SNUS and Velo Nicotine Pouches, which is why the cans look similar.  Grizzly is a popular moist snuff/dip brand, so going into this I was curious how these would compare to Grizzly.  I'm not a dipper, but I have had Grizzly Long Cut in the past.

Looking at the can, you can tell its the same size as a Camel or Velo can.  It's smaller than a regular snus can, and comes in an oblong shape.  I will say this, I do like the shape of their cans.  They fit great in the pocket.  The pouches are much larger than regular snus portions.  Each can of Grizzly "Snus" weighs 15 grams and contains 15 pouches per can, meaning each portion weighs 1 gram each.  As always, I did a cut test to show the difference between the American "Snus" product and real Swedish Snus.  You can tell that the Grizzly product is much more dry than real snus.

Here's a close up of the Grizzly tobacco.  You can tell it's nothing like Grizzly dip.  It's ground, but quite dry in appearance.  Also, there is no information about what is in it or how it's made.  Unlike Swedish Snus, which is incredibly transparent in terms of ingredients, nicotine levels, and production process.  This is why I refer to American "Snus" products with quotation marks, because I don't consider them to be real snus.  This one appears to be about as transparent in terms of production process as the other American "Snus" products.  Meaning, we don't know how it's made and can't speak to how safe it is compared to other tobacco products.

Grizzly "Snus": Arctic Blue Review

Opening the can, I realized the aroma was quite familiar.  And then it dawned on me:  this is the exact same thing as Camel Frost (Large), but in a different can.  The aroma is that heavily sweet mint smell.  The portions are large, plump, and moderately soft.  Being a mint product you'll encounter a cooling presence when you put one under your lip.  The flavor, like the aroma, is an incredibly sweet mint flavor.  Like Frost, when you take a portion out, it leaves that sickly sweet aftertaste that is hard to get out of your mouth.  In terms of nicotine, I didn't feel much, honestly. If I had to guess, I'd say it's below regular strength and feels to be around 4-6mg/g.  The flavor lasts around 30 minutes on average before I have to take it out.  Not a fan of this one.

Grizzly "Snus": Wintergreen Review

This one actually surprised me, it wasn't too bad.  And I don't really dig wintergreen.  The aroma is a sweet, mild presence of wintergreen.  It reminds me a lot of Wintergreen Tic-Tacs.  The portions, like the other one, are large in size and moderately soft to the touch.  I also encountered a mild tingle sensation when I put one under the lip.  The flavor honestly isn't that bad.  It's a mild, sweet taste of wintergreen.  Again, like wintergreen Tic-Tacs.  If I had to rate it, I'd say it's better than Camel Winterchill, but not quite as good as General Wintergreen.  The nicotine, like the last one, feels low, probably around 4mg/g-6mg/g.  The flavor lasts about 35-40 minutes on average.

In terms of Grizzly "Snus", this isn't really anything new.  Arctic Blue is basically Camel Frost in a different tin.  The only one that wasn't half bad was the Wintergreen one.  It's quite sweet, which is a turn-off for me, but better than the Camel Winterchill product.  If you're a Grizzly dipper, you'll find this isn't much like the dip you enjoy.  It's more close to the Camel "SNUS" products.  And as always, if you want a good mint or wintergreen product, I suggest checking out General Snus.  They have much better flavors, and you can find it basically everywhere now.

Comments

  1. Can you swallow the juice from this tobacco

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES, however, if you're switching from normal spitting tobacco, your instinct will at first not allow you to swallow. For the first week of my use I had to remind myself to swallow the saliva because after a 20 year habit of spitting, it was natural to hold it in until time to spit, which at that point, it will not be good to swallow it. I will say this too. I have been using grizzly snus for two months now and have had zero heartburn. I used to take meds once a day for that. So i'm happy with it.

      Delete
    2. Yes. You can swallow the juice from rhis "snus" (I'm a fan of Kronan and Kaliber Plus, so I agree that this isn't snus.)

      Delete
  2. I bought this thinking I could use this at work so I wouldn't be spitting. I opened the can and realized it was Skoal Bandits revamped. Most no-spit I've encountered is white like W.E. Garrett and at $4.65 for 15 pouches it's not worth it. It's also to sweet. Stick with Grizzly long cut wintergreen or whatever flavor you use if you enjoy dipping. This stuff was NASTY..You will definitely regret wasting your MONEY

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love grizzly long cut. But I don't regret buying this you did something wrong and most likely you threw this in your bottom lip. Too much saliva is getting to this pouch when you do that. Snus is an upperdecker youll run out of flavor and won't be absorbing the nicotine properly

      Delete
    2. "you did something wrong and most likely you threw this in your bottom lip"

      I always put snus in my upper lip. But there's no wrong way to use it, some go lower, some go upper, and that's okay.

      - Chad

      Delete

Post a Comment