Jakobsson's Glögg & Kanel (Portion & Loose) 2022 Review! 17 December 2022.

I seem to do a review of this snus, in some form, every year.  Though it's gone through minor changes since I first had it in 2009 (such as the name, can design, etc), it's relatively the same product from the first time I tried Gotland's Julesnus back in 2009.  Now, it's called Jakobsson's Glögg and Kanel.  One difference in 2022?  The loose version is back!  The loose had been around for years, I first had it back in '09, and the last time I had it was back in '14.  While the portion version hasn't ever really gone away, it's quite exciting to see the loose version back!  It proved quite popular, because it seems as though it's sold out in virtually every store, so the run Swedish Match / Gotlandssnus made proved to be a success!  Before we get into the reviews, let's talk product specifics.

Flavor Description:  "Has a clear taste of mulled wine, cinnamon and Christmas spices".

The Portion Version:  The can weighs 20 grams and has 20 portions, at 1 gram each.  The nicotine content is 10mg/g (1.0%), or 10mg/portion.

The Loose Version:  The can weighs 42 grams, and sits at 7.5mg/g (0.75%) nicotine.

Now, let's check them out!

Jakobsson's Glögg and Kanel Lös

First thing I noticed is that the grind is very much Swedish Match-ified.  Don't get me wrong, I like it.  The old grind was harder to work with and I had to use an Icetool to form a prilla.  Now, much like with Prima Fint, I can easily handbake a prilla.  The aroma is quite nice, with clear notes of clove, and a slightly smoky tobacco base, along with hints of cinnamon and ginger.  Under the lip, the loose is soft, and moist, and has a quick release of the flavor profile.  The taste is quite good.  Unlike the portion, I notice more tobacco taste.  The tobacco has a slight touch of smoke to it.  Next, the clove comes in, and is the most present taste.  Along with it, ginger and cinnamon mingle in, but are relatively mild.  The nicotine strength on this one is quite nice, with a steady delivery, and a regular strength feel.  I find the loose stays well packed with a long flavor release, enjoyable for up to 45-50 minutes!

Jakobsson's Glögg and Kanel Portion

I've reviewed this one many, many times, but I'm doing it again because it's Christmas.  Why not?  In the aroma, the familiar Julesnus aroma greets you.  I pick up clove, and light hints of ginger and cinnamon.  The portions are moist, but not too moist.  I find they have a quick release of flavor, but a long lasting taste. They feel comfortable under the lip, as well.  The taste is absolutely delicious!  In the flavor profile, I pick up clove as the heavy hitter.  Behind it is a little spicy ginger, and a nice touch of warm cinnamon.  It's very well balanced.  The nicotine on this one feels to be at the regular level, like the other.  The flavor lasts up to an hour, impressive for an original portion!

Rating and Final Thoughts

I've rated the portion version before, and that hasn't changed, still 4.17/5.  The loose, oh man, it's good.  I rated it higher, at 4.5/5.  Both are great, don't get me wrong.  And I've been enjoying both throughout the holiday season.  If you want to try them, remember, it is a limited edition!  In fact, the loose version sold out almost immediately.  But, the portion version is still around.  I suggest getting some sooner rather than later, because both are tremendous!



Comments