Red Seal Natural Long Cut (American Moist Snuff/Dip) - Review. 3 October 2021.

As a snus guy, Red Seal is a dip product that I've always wanted to review.  Why?  Because it's kind of a relative of Röda Lacket, one of my favorite Swedish Snus products.  My friend Feck at SnusCENTRAL wrote a great article about it, but I'll do a quick explanation on the history of this one.  Basically, the Röda Lacket snus goes back to 1753.  In the early 1900's, a company in New Jersey would import Swedish Snus to the US.  The "dipping tobacco" American version of the Swedish Röda Lacket, now called "Red Seal",  was a popular product in the south because it was a sweeter product.  This dip version would dwindle in popularity before eventually being reintroduced in the United States in 1997.  It's interesting, Röda Lacket is still produced as a snus, however this modern version of Red Seal has nothing in common with that one other than the anglicized name.  

When it comes to this one, the flavor description says "Oak- and hickory-smoked hardwood gives our Natural blend that unique Red Seal® taste".  Each can weighs 42.53g (1.5oz).  This is bigger than the average 34.02g (1.2oz) cans, meaning 25% more tobacco per can.  The nicotine content, according to the most recent lab results I could find, put it between 13.2mg/g and 15.1mg/g.

When you open the can, you'll notice a smoky, earthy tobacco aroma.  It has subtle wood notes to it, along with a very faint sweetness.  The tobacco base, in the aroma and flavor, reminds me a lot of Copenhagen Natural.  Which is interesting, because this one is made by USST, same as Copenhagen.  The grind is long cut, but it seems to be not as long as most long cuts I've had.  It's still pretty moist, and packs well in the lip.  Being a snus guy, I put it in the upper lip, which I think has a better experience.  That also makes it to where I don't have to spit, because it has less contact with the salivary glands.  The flavor of this one is an earthy tobacco base, with notes of hickory and smoke.  It has a very mild sweetness to it, and a touch of salt.  The nicotine feels to be a little below regular strength, and the flavor lasts about 45-55 minuets, on average.

Rating and Final Thoughts

I'm glad I finally got to try this stuff out.  Being a Röda Lacket snus fan, I was curious if any aspect of RL translated to this dip.  Well, I still have others to try out in the Red Seal line, but this one has zero similarities with Roda Lacket.  It was a pretty decent dip, though.  It reminded me of Copenhagen Natural, which is one that I really enjoyed the flavor of.  I rated it at 3.63/5, so it's on the mid to higher end of ratings I've done for American dip products.  If you like natural flavored tobacco, go give this one a go!



Comments