Lundgrens Österlen (Summer 2020) - Review. 6 September 2020.

Fiedler and Lundgren released another limited edition for the Summer of 2020, this one hailing from Österlen, a region in the southeast of the Swedish province of Skåne.  Thanks to my friend Michael who grabbed this for me from Snusbolaget.se.  This launched a few months ago, but it takes a while to get mail across the pond due to COVID.  I'm still reviewing it, even though it's technically sold out and not for sale anymore.  Their description says, "Lundgren's Summer Edition 2020 takes us to Österlen. With flavors of red apple varieties, such as Ingrid Marie, and yellow varieties such as Graven-steiner, this year's summer edition gives a floral, sweet and sour taste combination of apple."  I'm a big fan of apple flavored snus, so I was rather excited to try this one out.  

To show the packaging a little, when you first receive it, it comes inside a cardboard box like this.  

Inside the box, is another box.  It looks like a little crate, much like you'd see fresh produce coming in.

Inside that box, is another box.  Yes, this release has a lot of boxes.

And inside that box, is the can.  But hey, some people call it a "snusbox", so what the heck, let's go ahead and call it the box, inside a box, inside a box, inside a box.  This can is different from the regular Lundgrens can, because it doesn't have a catch lid, which you can see in the next photo. Each can weighs 19.2 grams and has 24 portions, for 0.8 grams each. The nicotine content is 10mg/g (1.0%), which breaks down to 8mg/portion, or regular strength.

The portions, as you see here, are the perforated white portion.  Meaning, they have the little holes in them to have a quick flavor release.  But, being the white portion material, they have a longer lasting flavor.  The aroma is a lightly sweet, floral aroma, with subtle hints of herbs, and a light apple presence.  If you're looking for an in your face, apple aroma or flavor, you won't find it here.  The portions are pretty comfortable under the lip, but I've found if I use the perforated portions a lot, it can irritate my gum.  The flavor was not what I had expected, but I still enjoyed it.  There is a mild tobacco taste, accompanied by a light floral sweetness, and subtle notes of herbs.  The apple flavor is mild, not overly sweet, and pretty gentle in terms of presence.  It's not a big apple taste by any means.  The nicotine feels to be about the regular strength level, and the flavor lasts about an hour, on average!

Final Thoughts

As you have probably seen, I've been adding a rating scale to my reviews.  Many have requested it, so I've been toying around with it.  This is my personal opinion on the product, so keep in mind - your results may vary.

Packaging - 5/5 (A beautiful, limited edition box)
Aroma - 2.5/5 (A pleasant smelling snus, but weak in aroma, and not what I expected)
Mouthfeel - 3/5 (I enjoy the perforated portions, but can't use them full time due to gum irritation)
Flavor - 2/5 (It was a tasty snus, but I feel that the apple flavor was much weaker than expected)
Nicotine - 5/5 (Regular strength, steady delivery)
Longevity - 5/5 (Long lasting flavor, up to an hour!)
Average - 3.75/5 (A special, enjoyable limited edition, but not what I expected in the end).

Recommendations:  Obviously, I can't recommend this because it no longer exists.  It sold out, and I took a little longer than usual to get around to reviewing it.  However, this leads me to my next point.

When it comes to limited edition releases from Fiedler and Lundgren, they tend to come back.  In January, 2019, they released Lundgren's Kebnekaise, a mountain themed snus.  It returned in May of 2020 as Lundgrens Fjällen.  In May of 2018, they released Lundgrens Marstrand, which returned as Lundgrens Västkusten in April of 2019.  So far, the only one that hasn't come back yet is Lundgrens Öland, a snus released in August of 2019.  So basically, Lundgrens Österlen seems to have a 66.6% chance of coming back.  I like those odds.  So, if you missed out, don't fret, you may see this snus return eventually!

Comments

Post a Comment