Nordic Ice (American "Snus") - Reviews (Discontinued). 25 October 2018.

NOTE:  This product has been discontinued and is no longer for sale.

Back in 2009, one of the earliest reviews I did was Nordic Ice: Frosted Mint, an American "snus" product. Since then, I haven't thought much about this stuff. However, it's apparently still produced and I've had a few requests to review the entire product line so here we are. Nordic Ice is a product from Cheyenne International, a tobacco company in North Carolina. They call themselves the “largest small tobacco company in America”. From a press release I found online, it looks like they originally launched in 2008. That press release also says they are “manufactured in the U.S. through a Swedish snus process”. What that process is, I'm not sure.  With all that being said, let's get into the reviews!

Nordic Ice Frosted Mint

The flavor description for this product says, "Nordic Ice Frosted Mint has a refreshing and icy flavor of crisp mint." This product comes in a 7.09 gram can with 24 portions for 0.3 gram portions. The nicotine strength wasn't listed at Northerner.com, but according to a SnusCENTRAL.org article it's between 6-9mg/g which would be 1.8-2.7mg/portion.

When you open the can, the aroma that greets you is an odd, musty peppermint smell. It's a little sweet, but smells off. It's hard to describe. The portions are small, and to get to regular strength (8mg/g), I had to put in four of them. They feel fine in the lip, and they are comfortable, just smaller than I usually use. The taste is much like the aroma, a lightly sweet taste of peppermint. It has this odd, musty quality to it though. The flavor doesn't last very long, usually only around 20-30 minutes on average. As far as the nicotine goes, even with four in I didn't feel much from these.

Nordic Ice Wild Cherry

The flavor description for this product says, "Nordic Ice Wild Cherry has a fresh, fruity cherry flavor." This product comes in a 7.09 gram can with 24 portions for 0.3 gram portions. Again, the nicotine strength is around 6-9mg/g, which would be 1.8-2.7mg/portion.

This one had a really interesting aroma, it's not like anything I've had before. It's a mildly sweet, musty, artificial cherry smell. I keep using the worst musty, which I never use in reviews, but it's the closest thing I can think of. The portions are the same as the previous review, and I used four again in this one. The taste is a lot like the aroma; this "snus" has an odd, artificial, lightly sweet cherry taste. It's also rather musty. To me, it's kind of like eating cherry candy in the attic. I know, it's a weird way to describe something but that's what I keep coming back to. The flavor lasts around 30 minutes on average, and the nicotine is virtually nonexistent, much like the last one.

Nordic Ice Original Wintergreen

The flavor description for this product says, "Nordic Ice Wintergreen has a fresh taste of wintergreen." This product comes in a 7.09 gram can with 24 portions for 0.3 gram portions. Again, the nicotine strength is around 6-9mg/g, which would be 1.8-2.7mg/portion.

Now, as many of you know, I'm not the biggest fan of wintergreen. But, surprisingly, this one was my favorite of the three. Weird, eh? The aroma of this one is a mild wintergreen smell with a little spice and a little sweetness. The portions are the same as the other two, and I used four again. The taste actually isn't that bad. It's a mild, lightly sweet wintergreen taste with a little spice in the background. Even though I don't like the taste of wintergreen, this is the only one of the three I can say wasn't awful. The flavor lasts, on average, about 20-30 minutes and the nicotine is also not much to write home about; I barely get any nicotine from this product at all.

As far as these three products go, I can't say much good about them.  I try to be as objective as possible when I write my reviews but these really aren't that great.  When there are much better Swedish Snus products you can order online, I'd suggest skipping Nordic Ice.

Comments