Grinds: Mint Chocolate - Review (Old Edition). 24 September 2017.

NOTE:  This product was reformulated and came back in 2021.  Check out the new review - here.

Today we're going to be talking about Grinds Coffee Pouches. Now, I originally reviewed a few of these products back in 2012, but I never did video reviews of them. I figured since I was finally going to get around to doing video reviews of these products I'd do some updated text reviews, as well. Back when I first reviewed them, they didn't have a lot of flavors. Now, they have added many new flavors, such as vanilla, peppermint, caramel, Irish cream, wintergreen, black coffee, and even pumpkin spice!  Grinds is marketed as a smokeless tobacco alternative used to quit smokeless tobacco or cigarettes.  So, you may be wondering, why would I as a Swedish Snus advocate be writing about Grinds?  Well, I support any means that will help people quit smoking.  Some people want to quit tobacco in general and I know many people who have had luck quitting smoking with these, and if these can help save a life I'm all for them.  Each can of Grinds costs around 3.99, so it's comparable to other smokeless tobacco/dip/snus products. Interesting note, the guys from Grinds also appeared on Shark Tank. Check out the video, you can get to know them a little better that way.

Let's talk about what's inside a Grinds pouch.  If you look at the photo on your left you can see that it looks almost like fine cut dip.  If you click the photo you can get a more closeup look at what's inside the pouch.  Inside the pouch is flavored coffee.  Each can has 18 pouches in it, and each Grinds pouch has the caffeine equivalent of about 1/4 cup of coffee, or 20-25mg of caffeine.  Grinds also contains Guarana, B-Vitamins and Taurine.  Grinds is a spit-free, and the saliva is safe to swallow.  They say you can spit with it, but you won't absorb as much energy.  Grinds advises that the best way to absorb the energy from the pouch is to actually swallow the saliva.

Now, let's talk about the product itself.  First of all, I do want to be upfront - I'm not a coffee drinker. I like the smell of coffee and I like coffee flavored things, but I don't drink coffee. I just wanted to throw that out there! That being said, on to the review. When it comes to the flavor description for this product it says "Mint and chocolate that tastes like an Andes Mint".   As far as the product itself, I find the pouches are very moist.  More moist than an original snus portion, and seemingly more moist than a dip pouch. When you open the can, the coffee aroma is very present and is accompanied by a light hint of mint and a little chocolate. The pouches feel very comfortable in the lip and have a quick release of flavor and energy; within about 5 minutes I'm feeling a kick from these. There is a very present dark coffee taste, and it's accompanied by a gentle taste of mint and a rich chocolate taste. The coffee is the most present, but the mint and the chocolate compliment the coffee flavor quite nicely.  The flavor lasts on average about 45 minutes.  If I had to compare the energy kick from this one in snus terms, I'd say it feels "strong" but not "extra strong".  It's just a nice, solid boost!

If you're looking for a product to quit smoking with and don't want to go to smokeless tobacco, I'd suggest giving this product a try.  To my Swedish Snus audience - I'd also suggest that you try these as well.  I don't have any interest in quitting snus, but these are a fun little alternative to throw in the mix every now and then!

Comments