Granit Portion (Strong) - Review (Discontinued). 12 May 2015.

NOTE:  This product has been discontinued and is no longer for sale.

I feel like I've reviewed this product quite a few times.  Going back through my photos, this is the 5th design of this snus I've reviewed.  I think this is the product I've seen the most design changes of since I started reviewing snus.  Also, the last time it changed they added the FlexLid to the can, which is a catch lid that expands as you add more used portions to it.  That has remained with this design change, as well.  If you're not familiar with Granit, it's a budget snus from Fiedler and Lundgren. It's grown in popularity the past several years, though I myself prefer LD Stark (Original Portion) for budget alternatives. But, Granit has quite a following, so I'm going to give it a new review!

The flavor description says, "Classic snus with traditional tobacco flavor". Each can weighs 18.7g and has 22 portions, for 0.85g portions.  The nicotine strength is 16mg/g (1.6%), or 13.6mg/portion.  It doesn't look like the strength has changed, as it was 14mg/portion last time I reviewed it.  However, the can weight has gone down - from 19.8g to 18.7g.

As far as the product itself, the only thing that has changed is the can weight and the design.  Everything else is the same!  When you open the can, an earthy tobacco smell greets you, along with hints of citrus and pepper. The portions are plump, moist, and feel great up under the lip! The tobacco flavor is front and center and it comes through in a rich, robust way. The citrus flavor is right behind it, and is complimented by a nice pepper taste. I will say this, I don't usually notice salt in snus, but with this one I do pick up a little bit extra than I'm used to. The bottom of the can says this one contains salmiak, so that may be why. The flavor, on average, lasts about 45 minutes. The nicotine level on this one feels right at the strong level.

Rating and Final Thoughts

In terms of budget products, this one isn't too bad.  I prefer LD, personally, but I know a lot of people really dig Granit for the price,  I rated it at 3.25/5.  To me, it's average.  Not great, not horrible, just right there in the middle.  If you like traditional flavored snus and are looking to save a few bucks, you'll probably enjoy this one.  As far as the design change goes, I could go either way.  It's different, that's for sure.  But, the snus in the can is still the same, and that's what matters!



Comments