10 November 2014

Kronan Vit (White) Portion - Review. 10 November 2014.

Review Updated: 25 October 2017

This week, I'm revisiting the entire Kronan line. In August, 2011 I reviewed Kronan Original Portion, in May 2013 I reviewed Kronan Stark Vit, in October 2014 I reviewed Kronan Stark Original, in September 2015 I reviewed Kronan Los, and in November 2014 I reviewed Kronan Vit.  Kronan is a snus I've never been able to get into, but I figured it's been a few years since I've tried most of this line so why not revisit it? After all, I wasn't a big fan of Göteborgs Rapé when I first tried it, but I fell in love with it when I reviewed the Göteborgs Rapé Slim Can version in 2013.  Now, speaking about Kronan, the name  means “the crown” in Swedish. It was created in 2005 as a reaction to the taxes being raised on snus. In fact, one of the Swedish Match tobacco masters was once quoted as saying “We can't really do anything about the taxes but we can cut costs as much as possible while still providing a good product." The product line was redesigned in March 2017, so I figured it was a good time to revisit Kronan!  An interesting note about this one is that it now comes in the star formation!

The flavor description for this product says, "Dark tobacco character with elements of violet and citrus, as well as some green herbs." This product comes in a 19.2 gram can with 24 portions, for 0.8 gram portions. The nicotine content is 8mg/g (0.8%), which breaks down to 6.40mg/portion.

When you open the can you are greeted by a dark, earthy tobacco smell. In the background are some herbal hints, along with a very faint hint of violet.  I don't really pick up the dill in the aroma like I did in the original portion version.  The portions are soft to the touch and feel comfortable in the lip. The flavor is much like Kronan Original, but more mild. It starts off with a rich,, dark tobacco flavor, but coming through in a gentle way. There’s a light herbal taste in the background, as well as a taste of fresh dill. I will say this, the dill flavor is much more mild in this one than in the original portion version. There’s a gentle lemon flavor, and a very light touch of violet in the background. However, the violet taste is very mild and very hard to detect if you aren’t looking for it. The flavor lasts about an hour, but turns bitter towards the end. The nicotine strength feels to be right at the regular level.

This was the third time I've tried Kronan White Portion and I still can't get into it.  Something about that dill flavor just turns me off. It’s an interesting taste, but not for me.  I will say this, however:  I do find this one more pleasant tasting than the original portion version.  If you haven’t tried Kronan, it’s worth giving a try. Doing a price comparison at SnusBolaget.se, Kronan White is priced at 26kr (3.16 USD), compared to General Original at 51kr (6.21 USD).  So, if you're a budget conscious snuser, this is certainly a way to save a little cash.  But at the end of the day, I still can't get into Kronan.  But I can say I tried!

No comments:

Post a Comment