General Negroni (Original Portion) Snus - Review. 1 January 2024.

Back in October, Swedish Match released a new limited edition snus that I finally was able to get my hands on:  General Negroni!  I recently grabbed this in an order from SnusMe.com after waiting for it to pop up on stores that ship to the US.  At the time, they only had this one, the original portion version.  I just noticed today they recently added the white portion version, so I'll try to grab that in the future.  If you aren't familiar with Negroni, don't feel bad, I wasn't either.  On Wikipedia it says it is "a cocktail, made of equal parts gin, vermouth rosso (red, semi-sweet), and Campari, generally served on the rocks, and commonly garnished with an orange slice or orange peel".  For this snus, this is how Swedish Match describes it:  "The tobacco character is bright, spicy and slightly bitter and has a flavor of juniper, cherry, orange, grapefruit and wormwood".  The can weighs 24 grams and has 24 portions, for 1 gram portions.  It's nice, you don't see that often.  The nicotine content is 8mg/g, and with 1 gram portions that's 8mg/portion.

Opening up the can, I notice juniper front and center, it is the heavy hitter in this one.  I notice a nice citrus character in the background, along with a little muted cherry presence on the back end.  There's a gentle earthy tobacco character, too.  The portions are great. They're nice and plump, moist, and fill out the lip quite well.  They have a quick release of flavor under the lip, which is lovely.  Right off the bat, the gin taste comes through.  Behind it, I pick up a little citrus, some orange, perhaps some grapefruit.  There's a faint cherry to it, and then a mild, earthy base tobacco.  It's a pretty interesting flavor, for certain.  The nicotine strength on this one feels to be regular, and has a nice, steady release.  The flavor hangs out a good 40-45 minutes, on average.

Rating and Final Thoughts

All in all, not a bad snus.  In a way, it reminds me of General Old Tom Gin from 2022.  But, this one seems to have more body to it.  I rated it at 3.5/5.  It's a pretty tasty snus.  Not something I'd use all the time, but it was fun to go through a can of it and check it out.  If you like gin, you'll probably enjoy this one.  It was a pretty tasty snus!




Our Video Review:

Comments