Göteborgs Rapé Gullbergs Kaj (White Portion) - Review. 26 May 2023.

I'm a big fan of limited editions.  I'm also a big fan of Göteborgs Rapé.  So, when I saw this one, you already know I was going to try it.  I didn't know what the name meant, "Gullbergs Kaj", so I had to do a little research.  As it goes, Gullbergs Kaj is in Göteborg by the Göta River.  It is named after Gullberg’s Quay, which is sometimes called "The Quay of Dreams".  Here's a neat article I read about it.  An interesting note about this, this quay isn't too far from Swedish Match.  I was going through some photos from when I visited Swedish Match in Sweden in 2010, and I saw some photos I took out the window of the river and coincidentally I was right there by the quay; it's actually only 1 minute by car to get to the quay from the Swedish Match HQ in Göteborg.  I thought that was neat.

So, about this snus.  The flavor description says, "Light and spicy tobacco character with hints of lavender, juniper, citrus, rosemary and rhubarb".  Each can weighs in at 21.6g and has 24 portions, for 0.9g each.  The nicotine content is 8mg/g (0.8%), which breaks down to 7.2mg/portion.

So, I was most eager to try this one out.  I like GR, and I've actually been near the place this snus is named after.  Opening the can, I notice the rhubarb clearly.  If you've never had it, rhubarb is super tart, and kinda earthy.  I pick up a little rosemary, along with a faint lemon and some subtle floral notes.  The portions come in the star formation, so I suggest fluffing them (rolling them around in your fingers) before inserting one under the lip.  They're pretty comfortable, though.  The flavor is a present taste of rhubarb.  It's tart, earthy, and almost seems a little smoky.  I pick up a subtle herbal rosemary taste, along with a faint floral note and just a little citrus.  The nicotine strength feels about regular, and I find the flavor hangs out about an hour.

Rating and Final Thoughts

So, this one was interesting.  Rhubarb isn't bad, but it's not a favorite thing of mine.  I'll finish the can of this, but I don't think I'll buy anymore.  I put the flavor on this one at 2.75/5, which is a little above average, but not something I'd seek out.  The overall rating is 3.42/5.  That's a little low, but I just couldn't get into this one.  Don't get me wrong, it has great quality, and if you like rhubarb you'll love this snus.  It has great flavor presence.  But, for me, not one I'd want more of.  





Our Video Review:

Comments