Tube Rose Scotch Snuff (Nasal Snuff) - Review. 10 May 2022.

I started using nasal snuff over a decade ago, but I've never really reviewed it until recently.  I've always been partial to certain brands, but now that I review it I've been branching out and trying more types of snuff.  I've mostly been doing snuff products from Europe but I've had some requests to check out some American stuff, particularly American scotch snuffs.  So, today we're talking about an American Snuff Co product:  Tube Rose Scotch Snuff!  I recently acquired this one, along with some others, from a local tobacco store here in Arkansas.  They cost around $15 a can, but they're a little bigger than the European snuff cans, so it about equals out.  There's not much info out there about these, but I was able to find a flavor description on MrSnuff.com that says it has "Slightly sweet floral tones".  Each container is 1.15oz, or 32.6g (about as much weight as a can of American dip).  The side label on the can says it contains 44% US tobacco and 56% imported tobacco.

Now, for a little snuff history!  This is an older brand of snuff; I've been able to find advertisements for it from the 1920's (pictured on the left).  Though I'm not sure when exactly this one originated.  Tube Rose was once made by Brown and Williamson Tobacco Co (Winston-Salem, North Carolina).  In 2004, this company was acquired by RJ Reynolds, and the merger would yield Reynolds America.  Today, this one is produced by American Snuff Co (owned by Reynolds).  Note, American Snuff Co is the manufacturer of Grizzly and Kodiak American Moist Snuff/Dip.

One thing you'll notice is just how big these tins are, and how well packed they are.  For the $15 I paid for these, they've got a pretty good amount of tobacco in them.  Right off the tin, the aroma is a lightly sweet tobacco.  It's semi-floral, and semi-smoky.  I find this one to be a dry, fine snuff.  This is how I usually prefer my snuffs, honestly.  It's pretty easy to take.  In the nose, it's mostly a lightly sweet tobacco with an almost caramel hint.  It's semi-floral, but not overly floral.  There's some smoky notes to it, but it's not as smoky as the other American scotch snuffs I found.  It has a mild drip, but not too heavy of a throat hit.  The nicotine is about moderate to mid-high, with a pretty decent kick.  In terms of after-effects, there is a slight floral tone that lingers about and then fades away.

Rating and Final Thoughts

This one honestly wasn't too bad!  Going into this, I wasn't sure what to expect.  Most times, European tobacco products are way better than American ones.  However, I was pretty impressed with this one, and the other US snuffs I recently found.  I rated this one at 3.46/5.  While not something I'd probably buy again, it was a fun little excursion into American dry snuff.  If you're in the US and want to try this stuff out, keep an eye out for local tobacco / cigar shops, that's where I was able to find it.  Though, I live in the South, and nasal snuff is quite popular here.



Comments

  1. Why did you discontinue this product

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't discontinue it, I don't make this one.

      -Chad

      Delete

Post a Comment