Classic Dental Scotch Snuff (Nasal Snuff) - Review. 10 May 2022.

I started using nasal snuff over a decade ago, but I've never really reviewed it until recently.  I've always been partial to certain brands, but now that I review it I've been branching out and trying more types of snuff.  I've mostly been doing snuff products from Europe but I've had some requests to check out some American stuff, particularly American scotch snuffs.  So, today we're talking about an American Snuff Co product:  Classic Dental Scotch Snuff!  I recently acquired this one, along with some others, from a local tobacco store here in Arkansas.  They cost around $15 a can, but they're a little bigger than the European snuff cans, so it about equals out.  There's not much info out there about these, but I was able to find a flavor description on MrSnuff.com that describes the taste like so:  "This snuff is of superior quality made from select leaf and preserves its flavor".  Each container is 1.15oz, or 32.6g (about as much weight as a can of American dip).  The side label on the can says it contains 59% US tobacco and 41% imported tobacco.

Now, for a little snuff history!  This is an older brand of snuff; I've been able to find advertisements for it from either 1939 or 1940 (unclear as to which year this is from).  Today, this one is produced by American Snuff Co (owned by Reynolds).  Note, American Snuff Co is the manufacturer of Grizzly and Kodiak American Moist Snuff/Dip.  If you're not familiar with "Scotch" snuff, don't feel bad, I wasn't either.  I found some posts on Snuffhouse that shine some light on the origin/history of this type of snuff.  One post mentions that this goes back to the Scots use of snuff.  It is also noted that the Scots liked their snuff dry and fine, which is what this one clearly is.  Another post mentions that Scotch Snuff is made a certain way, and uses darker leaves and stems with deep flavors.  These tobaccos are fire-cured, which yields the smoky taste.

You'll notice that compared to the European tins, these are much larger containers.  They are packed up to the top with tobacco; a beautiful sight!  The aroma of this one is a musty, rustic, smoky tobacco.  It's kind of like being in an attic.  I find the grind to be dry, and fine, which is my preference for nasal snuff!  It's easy to take, but I do get a slight burn with this one.  In the nose, this one is a milder, earthy base tobacco.  It's pretty gentle in nature.  It's smoky, and has this rustic/musty quality to it.  It's hard to describe but it's a bit like the smell of an attic.  It has a mild drip, but not too heavy of a throat hit.  The nicotine level is moderate to mid-high, not too strong, but not too weak.  There's not much after-aroma or lingering about, just a little tobacco on the tail end that fades away.

Rating and Final Thoughts

This one honestly wasn't too bad!  Going into this, I wasn't sure what to expect.  Most times, European tobacco products are way better than American ones.  However, I was pretty impressed with this one, and the other US snuffs I recently found.  This one rated at 3.5/5.  It was fun to check out!  I found it pretty easily in my state, so if you're in the South, you may be able to find it.  I see it more often in specialty pipe and cigar shops.  But, nasal snuff is pretty common where I live.  If you enjoy good snuff, give this one a go!  It's pretty solid.



Comments

  1. Hey Snubie, I'd love to try some of these but we just can't get them in the UK.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I'm not sure how you'd get them there. Might have to take a trip to the US and try our delicious cuisine and delicious snuff! - Snubie

      Delete
  2. How can I order this product on line

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure if you can. I found it here locally. -Snubie

      Delete

Post a Comment