Copenhagen Mint (Pouches) American Snuff/Dip - Review. 19 April 2022.

Last year, I decided to start reviewing more tobacco products (those other than snus).  Yes, I am still a snus guy.  And yes, I still think Swedish Snus is the best, highest quality, and safest smokeless tobacco product on the market.  However, as a lover of all things tobacco, I decided to dive into the world of American moist snuff/dip.  Also, I wanted to do it because no one is really writing detail oriented reviews like this, so it helps add to the historical record.  Today, we're checking out one by USST (an Altria company):  Copenhagen Mint Pouches!  While the Copenhagen brand launched in 1822, this is a newer product.  It launched in 2013 in test markets, and then expanded nationwide in 2016.  The flavor description says, "The boldly crafted taste of Copenhagen® Mint, packed into a manageable, moist pouch".  Each can weighs 0.82 oz (23.25g), and has 15 pouches, at 1.55 grams each.  The nicotine content I found listed online is 11.2mg/g.  The side of the can notes that this one has 100% US tobacco.

NOTE:  Traditionally, people put dipping tobacco and dip pouches in the lower lip.  However, I'm a snus guy, so I usually put mine in the upper lip.  It means less spit, so you get a longer lasting flavor, and a more enjoyable experience, in my opinion.

When you open the can, a present mint aroma greets you.  It's peppermint, and has a sweet nature to it.  The tobacco character comes through right behind the mint, and is an earthy, rich aroma.  There's also notes of wood, and smoke.  The pouches are plump, moist, and fill out the lip quite well.  They're soft, and have a subtle cooling sensation under the lip.  As noted above, I put my pouches in the upper lip for maximum enjoyment.  In the flavor profile, I notice a sweet taste of peppermint along with a rich tobacco background.  There's notes of hickory and smoke that accentuate the tobacco base.  In terms of nicotine strength, it feels to be about the regular, baseline.  The flavor lasts about 45-50 minutes, on average.

Rating and Final Thoughts

I'm honestly not the biggest mint user, but one thing mint dip products have over mint snus products is that they don't mask the tobacco.  The tobacco base is rich, complex, and it shines brightly through the mint flavor.  I gave this one a 3.54/5.  If you use dip, and want a mint flavored one, you'll probably enjoy this one.  While I don't use much dip myself, I found this one to be a tasty, fresh experience!  



Comments