Islay Whisky Snus (Original Portion) - Norway Snus Review. 24 February 2022.

It's been a long, long time since I've had Islay Whisky Original Portion snus.  Originally launched by GN Tobacco back in 2014, it vanished from the market in early 2020, along with the rest of the Islay line.  GN Tobacco brought Islay Whisky Loose back not too long ago, but the portion version has still been nonexistent.  Imagine my surprise when, several weeks ago, I found Islay Whisky Portion sold on a Norwegian website, Snus365.no.  I imagined it was old/expired stock, but when I got my hands on a can, I discovered that this was recently produced.  So, for some reason, GN Tobacco still produces Islay Whisky Original Portion, but only for Norway now.  When it comes to this one, the flavor description on Snus365 says, "Islay snus is made from 100% lamina (no stems or other by-products of the tobacco plant) and stored in whiskey barrels for 18 months before being flavored with whiskey from the same distillery".  Each can weighs 20 grams and has 20 portions, for 1 gram each.  The nicotine content is 12mg/g (1.2%), or 12mg/portion.

As far as this snus goes, it's the same as the last time I reviewed it, so I'll share my thoughts from that review.  When you open a can, the aroma that comes through is a very bold, dark and rich earthy tobacco aroma with hints of smokey whiskey.  The portions are semi-moist, soft, plump, and comfortable under the upper lip. The flavor is a bold, rich, dark and pure tobacco flavor with hints of whiskey and smoke and a mellow salt balance.  One thing I like about this one is the tobacco base.  I'm not a big whisky drinker, but this is my favorite whisky snus.  I really like the tobacco base on this one.  It's a rich, dark, present tobacco flavor.  The nicotine strength on this one feels to be around the strong level, and doesn't really kick your head in or anything.  The flavor, on average, lasts about 40-45 minutes on average.

Rating and Final Thoughts

This is a great snus, and easily my favorite whisky snus.  Not because of the whisky taste, because I'm not a whisky drinker.  But, because it has a great tobacco base.  I rated this one at 4.33/5.  That is a pretty high rating for me for a snus product, so that should tell you how much I enjoyed this one.  It's a major shame that, for some reason, GNT won't make this available for people outside of Norway, but it was nice to have it again!  It's been several years since I've had it, so it was nice revisiting an old friend.



Comments