Gold River: Western Cut (American Moist Snuff/Dip) - Review. 3 October 2021.

This is an interesting one.  I've heard this one discussed in tobacco-enthusiast groups here and there, but I've never actually seen it. Dewayne in WV actually hooked me up with this, so a shout out and thanks to him.  When I posted photos of this on social media I also heard from friends in Sweden that this used to be available there and had a following to it as well.  Apparently it was available there from the late 80's through the early 90's.  Gold River is a Fat Lip Brands product, which is owned by Swisher.  I'm not sure where it's manufacturer, that's the only information I've been able to find on it.  I also can't find a nicotine strength on this one.  I found on their website that it has a "unique flavor profile", but no flavor description.  

What's different about this one is that it comes in a "Western Cut".  Fat Lip says it's a "longer and wider" cut.  I also saw online that they use 100% American grown tobacco.  The cans weigh in at 1oz, or 28.34 grams.  They're a little lighter than the usual 1.2oz/34.02g cans that most American dip come in.  If you look to the left, I shot a photo comparing long cut (left, Red Seal) with western cut (right, Gold River).  I can definitely tell that the cut is longer and wider.  That's easy to notice comparing the two.  The Gold River also seems to be a little less moist than the Red Seal product.  From memory, it's less moist than most long cut/extra long cut dip products I've had so far, as well.

So, how is it?  Well, it's probably one of the more interesting dip products I've had so far.  First of all, I don't do the usual lower lip/spitting thing.  I always go in the upper lip (since I'm a snuser), for less salivary gland contact and less reason to spit.  When you open the can, the aroma that comes through is a sweet tobacco aroma.  It's like a mix of pipe tobacco and maple syrup.  The longer/wider cut makes it pretty easy to get under the lip.  It stays packed pretty well, too.  It's not as moist as your regular dip, but as it gets more moist it settles more against the gum.  The flavor is interesting.  It's definitely a sweeter taste.  It's kind of syrupy, with maybe some vanilla tones.  The tobacco base reminds me of a pipe/cigar tobacco base.  It's not as smoky/earthy as most dips.  The nicotine feels to be a little lower than regular strength, and the flavor lasts about 45-50 minutes on average.  That's about how long I keep a pinch in for usually, anyway.

Rating and Final Thoughts

This was a pretty interesting product, and I'm glad I got to try it.  I've heard it mentioned here and there on tobacco forums and whatnot, so it's interesting to see it materialize and get to try it out.  I rated it at 3.5/5.  I like the cut, but I do wish it was a bit more moist.  The flavor was very unique.  It's not something I could use full time, but I do like that the tobacco base seems to be a little different from the usual dip tobacco.  This is certainly a more dessert type of flavor, and not something I could see people using full time.  I imagine it would be something one could burn out on easily.  But, it seems like one to keep in the rotation whenever something sweet is craved!



Comments

  1. I chewed it for years back in the 80’s . Love it. Don’t chew now but might start again with this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That used to be my favorite kind in 94... best kind ever

    ReplyDelete
  3. How do you order a few logs of gold river? I sure miss that stuff from the early 90s?

    ReplyDelete
  4. It would be nice to see it back at the stores again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Where can you buy this. Im having no luck finding it online

    ReplyDelete
  6. I started using Copenhagen Snuff when I was in middle school (about 1988). About that time, I discovered Gold River. Only one store in town carried it and I rode my bike almost 7 miles each way to buy it. Somehow, stores in 1988 had no problem selling tobacco to a 12 yr old. Didn’t know Swisher brought it back. Gonna have to find some.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dipped this in 1981 playing Dixie Youth Baseball. Five years old and a can of Gold River in the back pocket of my baseball pants. Man I thought I was in the Major Leagues. Guess my brother 7 years older than me had this influence on me, is strange looking back that in 1981 no one looked twice at a kid dipping like his baseball idols. Was sweet and delicious dipped it for a couple years then quit and went to Big League Chew as a replacement when they started hounding ball players in the majors to stop dipping. Either way it was a great product I would pick up a can every now and then until I could t find it anymore in the 90’s and switched to Copenhagen Fine Cut.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment