XRANGE Nicotine Pouches - Review. 21 January 2021.

Ever since I first heard that Swedish Match was releasing a nicotine pouch in the XRANGE series, I was rather curious to try it.  Mainly, because I heard it would have a tobacco taste.  Many companies have tried to release a tobacco flavored nicotine pouch so far, but no one has really got it right.  Some have got close, and some have been pretty rough.  So, if Swedish Match released one, it must be good, right?  Surely they nailed the flavor?  Well, let's check out the review and find out!  The flavor description says, "XR Nicotine Pouches provides a cleaner experience in the mouth and throat, completely without tobacco but without losing the taste of tobacco".  Each can weighs 16g and has 20 portions, for 0.8g portions.  The nicotine content is 8mg/g (0.8%), or 6.4mg/portion.

So, does it taste or smell like tobacco?  Well, no.  When you open the can, it has a smoky, peppery licorice smell to it.  The portions are soft, with moist contents, and they feel comfortable under the upper lip.  The flavor is interesting, and follows the aroma pretty well.  It tastes like black licorice, but with tones of pepper and smokiness mixed in.  In terms of nicotine strength, it feels to be about the regular strength level, and I find the flavor lasts about 40-50 minutes on average.  I saw a friend on Instagram mention this, and it’s pretty accurate:  it reminds me of  Jägermeister, as well.  For me, that's not a good thing.  I quit drinking hard liquor when my daughter was born, so it's been a long, long time since I've had Jäger, but I've got a lot of bad memories of some rough mornings from my 20's when Jäger was involved.

Rating and Final Thoughts

So, this one is interesting.  And this is where a rating system can get confusing.  It rated at 3.25 out of 5.  But, I didn't like this one.  I did not like the aroma and flavor of this one.  It could be bad Jäger memories, but if they were going for a tobacco flavored nicotine pouch, I just did not get that from this product.  But, when I review nicotine pouches, I generally say 3 is the bar for me, and anything over a 3 is a good product in my eyes.  I'll explain.  This is a quality nicotine pouch product.  The can design, the portions, the nicotine delivery, the flavor longevity - all that is solid.  I just didn't like the aroma and flavor.  Now, had it been a flavor I enjoyed, I think the score would be much higher, probably over 4, which is rare for me and nicotine pouches.  So that's how the rating looks high for me, even though I didn't really enjoy the flavor.  Now, if you like nicotine pouches and want to try something new, your experience may differ.  You may enjoy this one.  But for me, it wasn't a product I enjoyed.  Generally I like 99% of what Swedish Match produces, but this and Kronan are products that just don't hit the mark for me.  

This product is available from SnusDirect.com. 



Comments