Swedish Match: Make Your Own Snus - Review. 6 January 2018.

Swedish Match has this really neat feature on their website where you can make your own snus blend. Unfortunately, this isn't available for people in the US. However, if you're in Sweden, you can go to their website and make your own snus blend and have it shipped right to your door. It's really cool. This is how Swedish Match describes it: "Here you can mix your own box of loose snus or portion snus. Choose from 24 different flavors to arrive at your own recipe. If it feels awkward to mix completely on your own, you can start from one of our recipe suggestions. When you are ready, you can buy your mix, which is mixed directly in our factory by one of our snus experts." Now it's not cheap - prices start at 99sek (around $11 USD per can). But it is fun to play with. A special thanks to Snubie friend Muhamed in Sweden who hooked me up with this and made my blends for me. I had a lot of fun doing it!

When you do your recipe, you get to add the base flavor for the dominant taste tones, the filler flavor (for undertones). and the finish (to add light characters/balance).  With each flavor you can determine if it's going to be strong (stark), average (medel) or light (svag).

When you get your product, in comes in portion or loose. Since loose is so easy to do at home already, I figured I would make up a batch of custom portions. They came in these black portions, which look really neat.  The tobacco inside is long and cylindrical, which feels like it came out of a machine or tool, so you need to fluff it when you get it to loosen up the tobacco and distribute it a little better.  After that, your custom made portion snus is soft, comfortable, and ready to go into the lip!

Snubie's Rum and Lime Blend
For this snus, I wanted to keep it simple.  There aren't regularly produced rum products on the market, so I wanted something with a rum taste.

Flavors:  Rom (Rum) and Lime
Format:  Portion
Base Flavor: Lime (average)
Filler Flavor: Rum (average)
Finishing Flavor:  None

I really enjoyed this one. The aroma is a present blending of rum and lime. The portions, again, are soft and comfortable in the lip. In the flavor, the rum comes through as a darker rum character accompanied by an earthy tobacco flavor. There is a light hint of lime in the background which adds a nice tart component. The nicotine level feels to be about regular strength and the flavor, on average, lasts about 45 minutes.

Snubie's Cherry Limeade Blend
For this snus, I wanted to make a snus with my favorite drink flavor - Cherry Limeade!

Flavors:  Körsbär (Cherry) and Lime
Format:  Portion
Base Flavor: Körsbär (strong) and Lime (strong)
Filler Flavor: None
Finishing Flavor:  None

This one has a nice aroma that mixes cherry and lime. I found the portions to be soft and comfortable in the lip. The cherry is the most present, with a tart hint of lime in the background. As far as the flavor goes, the cherry is the most present component, there is a light hint of lime, a nice tobacco character, and a hint of salt! The flavor, on average, lasted around 45 minutes. I don't know what the nicotine strength is but it didn't feel too much stronger than the regular level.

Snubie's Eastern Orange Blend
For this snus, I wanted to get really creative and make something unique!

Flavors:  Apelsin (Orange), Kardemumma (Cardemom), Ingefära (Ginger) and Kanel (Cinnamon).
Format:  Portion
Base Flavor: Apelsin (strong), Kardemumma (average)
Filler Flavor:  Ingefara (light)
Finishing Flavor: Kanel

This one was a lot of fun to mix, and I really enjoyed the taste. The aroma is a present smell of orange, along with light hints of cardamom and ginger. The portions, again, are soft and comfortable in the lip. In the flavor profile, orange is the most present component and comes through in a natural way. In the background, cardamom, ginger, and cinnamon are all present and add an Eastern backbone to the flavor. The flavor lasts about 45 minutes on average, and the nicotine strength feels to be about the regular level.

Muhamed's Blend
Muhamed sent me one of this one recipes for me to try and review, as well!

Flavors:  Lime, Spearmint, Rom (Rum), Kanel (Cinnamon).

I'm not sure which quantities he added these components in, however.

This one sounded like the flavor was going to be all over the place, and it was really unique. The aroma was a present smell of spearmint with a hint of lime and a light touch of rum. The portions, again, are soft and comfortable to the touch. The taste is mostly spearmint and rum, and in the background I found a little cinnamon and a little lime. The flavor, on average, lasted about 45 minutes and the nicotine strength felt to be around the regular level.  You wouldn't think mixing rum and spearmint would be something that would work, but it wasn't bad, I enjoyed the flavor of this one.  It was pretty unique stuff!

It was a lot of fun to mix my own snus blends. and I'm glad I got to do it!  Of the ones I made, I think the Eastern Orange was my favorite, and one I'd love to see produced!

Comments