31 October 2014

Kronan Stark Original Portion - Review. 31 October 2014.

Review Updated: 27 October 2017

This week, I'm revisiting the entire Kronan line. In August, 2011 I reviewed Kronan Original Portion, in May 2013 I reviewed Kronan Stark Vit, in October 2014 I reviewed Kronan Stark Original, in September 2015 I reviewed Kronan Los, and in November 2014 I reviewed Kronan Vit.  Kronan is a snus I've never been able to get into, but I figured it's been a few years since I've tried most of this line so why not revisit it? After all, I wasn't a big fan of Göteborgs Rapé when I first tried it, but I fell in love with it when I reviewed the Göteborgs Rapé Slim Can version in 2013.  Now, speaking about Kronan, the name  means “the crown” in Swedish. It was created in 2005 as a reaction to the taxes being raised on snus. In fact, one of the Swedish Match tobacco masters was once quoted as saying “We can't really do anything about the taxes but we can cut costs as much as possible while still providing a good product." The product line was redesigned in March 2017, so I figured it was a good time to revisit Kronan!

The flavor description for Kronan Stark Original says, “Dark and powerful tobacco character with elements of violet and citrus, and a little green herbs.” This product comes in a 21.6 gram can with 24 portions, for 0.9 gram portions. The nicotine content is 15mg/g (1.5%) which breaks down to 13.50mg/portion.

When you open the can, the aroma that comes through is a dark, earthy tobacco smell. There are also mild herbal notes, a light presence of violet, and a hint of fresh dill. The portions are plump, moist, and have a quick release of flavor. The taste is much like the smell - a rich, dark tobacco flavor accompanied by mild herbal notes. There’s also a mild hint of lemon, along with a taste of fresh dill and a very faint hint of violet. The flavor lasts about 45 minutes on average and starts to turn bitter towards the end. The nicotine feels to be right at the strong level.

This was the third time I've tried Kronan Stark Original Portion and I still can't get into it.  Something about that dill flavor just turns me off. It’s an interesting taste, but not for me. If you haven’t tried Kronan, it’s worth giving a try. Doing a price comparison at SnusBolaget.se, Kronan Original Stark is priced at 26kr (3.16 USD), compared to General Extra Strong Original at 51kr (6.21 USD).  So, if you're a budget conscious snuser and like strong snus, this is certainly a way to save a little cash.  But at the end of the day, I still can't get into Kronan.  But I can say I tried!

No comments:

Post a Comment