Kapten Los Review (Discontinued). 3 March 2014.

NOTE:  This product has been discontinued and is no longer for sale.

It's been about 5 years since I reviewed this product, so I felt like revisiting it! There aren't a lot of lös snus products on the market, so I like to review them any chance I get.  What's interesting about these is I can't find it for sale anywhere.  I got this can from a friend at the end of last year, but browsing around I haven't been able to find them for sale anywhere online.  Snusline.com has them listed for sale, but they're out of stock.  Now, if you're new to Kapten, it is the main line from AG Snus, a snus manufacturer in Denmark. AG Snus describes Kapten as "a novel snus, but the development has been based on the knowhow acquired by 5 generations’ experience manufacturing snus. Kapten is a truly traditional snus, but the taste has been given a modern twist making Kapten a snus of this century."

The flavor description for this product says, "Kapten Loose is a snus with a traditional taste of bergamot and tobacco."  This snus comes in an 37 gram can.  I know most Kapten products have a nicotine content of 10mg/g, but Snusline.com has the nicotine content listed at 8mg/g.  So, it's somewhere between 8-10mg/g, placing it around the regular strength level.

When you open the can, the aroma is a mellow citrus smell with a lightly sweet floral hint and a mild touch of tobacco. The lös itself isn't as easy to bake as others I've had before, but I was able to handbake this without a portioning tool, so it was able to be done! The tobacco is soft, lightly moist, and quickly releases flavor. The taste is a lot like the smell - there's a mild, earthy tobacco flavor with a slightly sweet citrus taste and gentle floral notes. If you remember Gustavus Los from back in the day, it reminds me a lot of that. The flavor, on average, lasts about 45 minutes and it stays pretty well baked in the lip. The nicotine strength feels to be about regular strength.

As far as Kapten Lös goes, it's a pretty tasty product.  I was a big fan of Gustavus before it was discontinued and it reminds me a lot of that one.  If you can find it, it's a good product to check out sometime.

Comments