SwedSnus/SnusRoom.com Premium Express Loose - Review. 5 February 2021.

Today, we're going to be talking about another DIY snus I bought from SnusRoom.com - SwedSnus Express Premium Loose Snus!  I've reviewed some of their DIY portion snus before, so this is my first crack at their loose snus.  Their description for this product says, “Our loose snus is made of premium quality tobacco.  The snus contains no unnecessary additives and is made in accordance with traditional Swedish craftsmanship.”  It has a nicotine strength of 11mg/g (1.1%).  Each bucket weighs 675 grams, which yields 1.5kg of loose snus.  If you do 50 gram cans of loose, that yields 30 cans.  If you do 42 gram cans of loose, that yields 35 cans.

Costs and Cost Comparison

For this order, I bought the bucket of snus ($74.90), the kneading bag ($4.99), a bag of their Special flavoring ($4.99), for a total of $84.88.  That cost breaks down to about $0.056 per gram.  If you're doing 50 gram cans, that's $2.83 a can.  If you're doing 42 gram cans, that's $2.35 a can.  Comparing that $0.056 per gram cost for this one, it's much cheaper than other products.  Using prices from SnusBolaget in Sweden, Knox is $0.13 a gram, Granit is $0.13 a gram, General is $0.16 a gram, and Skruf is around $0.17 a gram.  This is definitely a good way to save some cost!  Now, in this review I'm going to show you how I made this stuff, and then do a review.  The instructions were in Swedish, so I mostly used the instructions on the product page, and the instructional video from their YouTube channel.
 
Making The Snus
The instructions that came with it were in Swedish, so I did my best translating and hoped for the best.  In addition to what I ordered, I needed water and a kitchen mixer.  And that was it!  Easy as pie.

What's In The Bucket:
Inside the bucket you'll find the dry tobacco in a bag.  All you'll need to do is open the bag and dump the tobacco into the bucket.

Step 1: Water/Flavor Mixture
Their website says to use between 7-8 dL of water.  For us Americans, that's 3 to 3.5 cups.  I ended up going with 7.25 dL, or, for us Americans, 3 cups and 1 tablespoon of water.  They say to mix the flavoring bag with the water before adding it to the dry tobacco.  So, I mixed the water and flavor in a separate container and then poured it into the bucket containing the dry tobacco.

Step 2: Mixing Tobacco, Water, and Flavor
For this step, I used my kitchen mixer to blend the tobacco, water, and flavor bag.  I blended it for about a minute, until the texture was consistent throughout.

Step 3: Kneading
After mixing up all the tobacco in the bucket, I transferred it to the SwedSnus Kneading Bag.  Once in the bag, I kind of rolled it around a little bit, squeezed it, and kneaded the tobacco through the bag.  I think this step is supposed to come after it's in the refrigerator for 4 days, but I didn't know and did it here first.  Oh well, we'll see how it turns out.

Step 4: Refrigeration
After everything is mixed up and kneaded, it goes into the refrigerator for 4 days.  I don't know if I did this right or not, but I put the kneading back in the can, closed it up, and then put all that into the refrigerator.

 
Before we get into the review, I know not everyone is going to carry around a giant bucket of loose snus with themselves.  So, you do have some options!  SnusRoom.com carries a variety of cans you can use. On the top left, you'll see their Black Aluminum Can, which you can pick up for $24.99.  On the top right you'll see their plastic Loose Snus Can, which is available in a 5 pack for $3.99.  Or, if you want to go even more discrete (cheap plug), you can check out the Snubie Can, which is a small, slim, discrete can with a unique shape.  It's great for carrying around a day or two's worth of loose snus in, and it has an amazing seal to keep your snus fresh.  Now, on to the review!

Before I put it in the bucket, I went ahead and kneaded it again one more time, just to be safe.  Here is what the finished loose looks like.  I may tinker with the moisture amount on the next batch, however.  Don't get me wrong, it's soft, moist, and easy to handbake.  I'm happy with it, but I'm also a perfectionist and feel like I could do better.  I may reduce the moisture by a hair next time around.  This stuff smells amazing though.  It has a rich, earthy, robust tobacco smell with slight wood notes and a hint of citrus.  It goes in the lip well and stays packed pretty easily.  The flavor is tobacco-centric; I notice mostly that earthy, well rounded, rich tobacco taste.  Behind it I pick up hints of wood, and that subtle citrus taste.  The nicotine strength feels to be at the strong level (with my 1.5-2 gram prillas), and has a steady delivery.  The flavor stays around for about 45-50 minutes, and the loose stays packed in the lip just as long!

Rating and Final Thoughts

I rated this one at 3.79 out of 5.  It was a pretty solid loose product, and it was incredibly fun to DIY my own loose snus at home.  I'm looking forward to trying some of their different flavorings and doing some different flavor batches.  It's a great way to save money, and is super easy to make.  If you're a loose snus fan who wants to save a few bucks, this is something to check out.

Buy Them:  You can purchase them from their website, SnusRoom.com.  Use code SNUSROOM15 and you get 15% off.  All orders over $149 ship free.



Comments