Thunder NRG (Original Portion) - Review (Discontinued). 8 March 2017.

NOTE:  This product has been discontinued as of 11/2018 and is no longer for sale.

When I first heard about this product, I was pretty intrigued. In the snus world, there aren't many products that are in the "energy snus" category. When I first started snus in 2009, there was a product I really enjoyed, Elixyr Power Energy. There weren't many people who liked it, but a few of us were die hard supporters of it until it was discontinued. That product had 12mg/g of nicotine, caffeine, and taurine. Most people didn't like the taste, some even complained that the aroma smelled like cat urine. But I was a big fan - it was one of the first snus products I used in the mornings. In 2014, Swedish Match released The Lab 13, the first "energy" snus I've seen since Elixyr.  However, that snus didn't contain caffeine or taurine like Elixyr.  And now we have Thunder NRG by V2 Tobacco.  This snus doesn't have added caffeine or taurine either, but it does have a high nicotine content and an energy drink type flavor!

The flavor description of Thunder NRG says, "Thunder NRG has a refreshing taste of energy drink underlined by the explosive amount of nicotine." This snus has an extremely high nicotine content of 45mg/g, much like the recently released Thunder X line. The can weighs 19.8 grams and has 22 portions, which equals out to 0.9 grams per portion. The nicotine per portion comes out to 40.5mg/portion.

When you open the can, you'll notice that the portions are incredibly moist! The aroma has that energy drink smell to it. It's tart, and a little spicy. When you put a portion in your lip you'll quickly experience a burning sensation, followed by a cooling sensation. This snus is quite strong, I notice the nicotine usually around the 5 minute mark. And it hits like a freight train! The flavor is very interesting. Much like the aroma, it has that energy drink type flavor. It comes through as a little tart and a little spicy, and I notice a light berry/fruit like presence in the taste. In the background I also pick up a mild taste of tobacco, as well. What's interesting about this one is that I don't pick up any added sweetness in the flavor. I originally thought it might have some sweetness in the flavor profile, but I was pleasantly surprised to find out it didn't! Usually I can keep this snus in for up to about 15 to 20 minutes, but at that point it gets too strong and I have to take it out. I don't use a lot of strong snus, so I can't speak to how long the flavor lasts. But, I can say that for the 20 minutes I can keep a portion in the flavor is quite bold and strong!

If you're a fan of energy drinks and super strong snus, give Thunder NRG a try.  If you're a fan of the Lab 13 but want something stronger, you may enjoy this one!

Comments