Skoal Apple (Long Cut) American Snuff/Dip - Review. 19 April 2022.

Last year, I decided to start review more tobacco products (those other than snus).  Yes, I am still a snus guy.  And yes, I still think Swedish Snus is the best, highest quality, and safest smokeless tobacco product on the market.  However, as a lover of all things tobacco, I decided to dive into the world of American moist snuff/dip.  Also, I wanted to do it because no one is really writing detail oriented reviews like this, so it helps add to the historical record.  Today, we're checking out one by USST (an Altria company):  Skoal Apple Long Cut!  Skoal launched in 1934, and this particular product launched in 2004.  In the grand scheme of things, that is relatively new.  The flavor description says, "Take a pinch of what an apple tobacco blend should taste like. This dip has a sweet flavor that’s balanced with real American tobacco".  Each can weighs 1.2oz, or 34.02 grams.  The nicotine content for Skoal ranges between 12.7-13.4mg/g.  The side of the can notes that this one contains 100% US tobacco.

NOTE:  Traditionally, people put dipping tobacco and dip pouches in the lower lip.  However, I'm a snus guy, so I usually put mine in the upper lip.  It means less spit, so you get a longer lasting flavor, and a more enjoyable experience, in my opinion.

Apple isn't the most common flavor in tobacco, so I was pretty interested when someone asked me to review this one.  When you open the can, it does smell like apple.  It's a present apple smell, slightly sweet, reminding me of green apple.  There's some subtle wood notes, a little smoke, and a mild tobacco base.  The long cut tobacco is moist, soft, with a solid flavor release.  Again, I put it in the upper lip, like with snus.  In terms of the flavor, it's actually not bad.  The green apple taste is present, and sweeter in nature.  It has an earthy tobacco base, along with subtle notes of wood, and a little smoke.  The nicotine strength feels to deliver about the regular level.   I find the flavor to last about 40-45 minutes, on average.

Rating and Final Thoughts

This was honestly a pretty good product.  I rated it at 3.88/5.  As I mentioned before, apple isn't a common flavor in tobacco products, but it's a great companion for the taste of tobacco.  If you want a tobacco product with a taste that is a little different from others on the market, this is one you may enjoy.  It's got a great taste that I think would go well in the summertime.



Comments