Longhorn Apple Shine (American Moist Snuff/Dip) - Review. 17 October 2021.

I've recently started reviewing American moist snuff/dip products here to mix things up a bit.  And, because we don't see new snus products coming out much anymore.  So, it gives me something to do when I get the itch for a new tobacco product.  This is one that recently launched, and is manufacturer by Pinkerton Tobacco.  Pinkerton actually owns Swedish Match.  I mostly use Swedish Match snus, and I know their high quality standards, so I feel safer using this one than any other brand.  Also, they say they use some form of pasteurization with their products:  "The tobacco leaves are heated with steam so that when the stems are removed the leaf is not damaged".  Pasteurization keeps TSNA levels low, so I feel better using something like this over other American dip products.  This product is one I wasn't able to find locally, but my friend Brandon in Kentucky hooked me up with a can.  I haven't been able to find it online, or a flavor description or anything like that, so I can only share what I know based on the can.  It's a 1.2oz can, or 34.02 grams.  It is said to contain 65% American tobacco.  The nicotine content isn't listed, but Longhorn usually hovers around 13.8mg/g.
  
When you open the can, the aroma that comes through is a green Granny Smith type of apple smell.  It's slightly sweet, with a mild tobacco base and a subtle smokiness.  The "shine" component of this does relay a boozy aroma, but it's more of a cheap whisky type of smell.  The tobacco is the standard long cut, and has a good moisture amount to it.  It packs pretty well in the lip and has a quick release of flavor.  In the flavor, the apple is present with a lightly tart nature.  It also has a subtle sweetness to it, along with some smokiness.  The tobacco base is mild, and earthy.  The boozy presence, like the aroma, isn't too overpowering, and reminds me of a cheap whisky.  Not saying that's bad, but that's what it reminds me of.  The nicotine strength feels about regular, and the flavor lasts about 45-50 minutes.

Rating and Final Thoughts

This one was pretty interesting in terms of flavor.  The Granny Smith apple/cheap whisky flavor was a unique one, that's for sure.  I did find myself enjoying it, and rated it at 3.54/5.  American dip products seem to not experiment much with flavors, so it was really interesting, and exciting, to see something like this come out, because it's not the usual, run of the mill flavor profile.  If you're looking for it, I have no idea where to find it, but my friend in Kentucky found it so if you're there you can find it.  However, I'm sure it's available in other states at this point.  It is a limited edition, so if you find it and enjoy it, freeze some, because who knows if it'll stick around.




Comments

  1. I wish they would sale Apple shine all the time and not just as a seasonal thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please Please bring back the apple shine permanently. We found it in one place last year and bought evver can they had every time their ship.ent came in.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bought about every can they sold near me I love it. I wish it would be available year round it’s great taste and last long

    ReplyDelete
  4. I bought the whole thing when it arrived in our area it is an awesome dip

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment