SwedSnus: Premium Original 300 DIY Snus Portion - Review. 23 January 2021.

Today, I'm pretty excited to be talking about a new, DIY snus product available to the US:  SwedSnus!  I've seen this product for sale for years on Snusbolaget.se, but now us folks in the US can try it out.  They've opened a new store, SnusRoom.com, which has all of their flavors of portion, along with the DIY loose buckets, and all kinds of flavorings you can add and use.  In this review, I'm going to walk you through how I use/moisten up this product, and do reviews of the products themselves.  For this review, I didn't add any flavors, this is just a review of the product as is.  So, let's fire right into it!  You can see from the picture on the left that this is the Premium Original 300 product, which comes in a resealable bag.  This bag contains 300 portions in the white semi-dry format.  You can use the pouches as is, or you can add moisture to them.  

When you open up the resealable bag, these are what the portions look like.  Their flavor description says, "Classic tobacco with bergamot oil, natural rose oil and mild tone of smokiness".  The bag weighs 195 grams, and contains 300 pouches, for 0.65g per portion.  If you count 20 portions per can, that's 15 cans.  The nicotine strength is 11mg/g (1.1%), or 7.15mg/portion.  Regularly priced a bag is $29.90 USD, which breaks down to about $1.99/can.  You can see how buying in bulk like this saves money.  Also, it's good for the environment as you're using a resealable pouch and one can instead of buying 15 cans.  Now, let's talk about how you can moisten these up and make original portions.

Instructions:  Adding Moisture

In the past, this is the measurement I've used when doing DIY portions.  I stuck with it again for this one.  If you want to make portions at 45% moisture (which is about average), you add 0.16ml of water per portion.  If you want to make them even more moist and go up to 50% moisture, you add 0.22ml of water per portion.  Of course you can add as much or as little as you want, but this is what I've done in the past that has worked pretty well for me.

Instructions:  Next Steps

After I've added moisture, I'll put the portions into separate bags and label them either 45% or 50%.  When I first tried this one, I went ahead and did a batch of each, so I could see which one would come out the best.  From there, I took them and put them in the refrigerator and left them in there for two days.  I've found that about of time (48 hours) seems to be the sweet spot for letting the moisture spread throughout the portions.  Now, the portions are ready to go and ready for a review, so let's get right into it and check out these products!

Regular/White Semi-Dry Review (No Moisture Added)

The aroma of this one has notes of pepper and a dark, but mild tobacco presence.  I also pick up light floral notes, along with tart hints of bergamot.  The portions are smaller in size, and a little dryer than the average white portion.  They're pretty soft, and comfortable under the lip.  The flavor is a pretty earthy tobacco base, with hints of pepper and a light smokiness.  I pick up a subtle presence of bergamot, along with light floral hints.  The nicotine feels to be about regular strength, maybe a hair above.  The flavor, on average, lasts about an hour.

Original Portion Review (Moisture Added)

Looking at the picture on the left, you'll see the 45% moisture (top) and the 50% moisture (bottom).  After adding moisture, I noticed the aroma to be more pronounced:  a robust tobacco and pepper smell, along with a tart hint of bergamot, a subtle smokiness, and a gentle floral presence.  In regards to the two, I enjoyed the 45% moisture one more.  I felt like the one at 50% was a bit too moist.  Adding moisture did allow for a quicker release of flavor.  The taste is a rich mix of tobacco and bergamot, along with some floral notes in the background and a light smoky character.  The nicotine feels about regular, maybe a little above that.  The flavor, on average, lasts about 40-45 minutes.

Rating, Final Thoughts, and Where To Buy

I liked the original portion version more than the white portion version.  The 45% moisture one seemed to be about perfect when it came to which original portion was best.  However, both of these were pretty good.  For less than $2.00 a can, I was pretty impressed.  White Dry rated at 3.63/5 for me, and the Original Portion version I made a little higher at 3.67/5.  If I had to place these, I'd say they're probably mid-tier snus.  Good for the price, and for those looking to save some money!

Buy Them:  You can purchase them from their website, SnusRoom.com.  Use code SNUSROOM15 and you get 15% off.  All orders over $149 ship free.



Comments