Onyx Guld (Svart Portion) - Review (Discontinued). 23 September 2019.

NOTE:  This product has been discontinued and is no longer for sale.

General Onyx has been a favorite of mine for quite some time now, and it's been a product I've used as my "special occasion" snus for many years. I never imagined the Onyx line would expand, but Swedish Match has decided its time to branch out! The original General Onyx has been rebranded "Onyx Silver", and a new product has launched: Onyx Guld (Gold)!  This is another black portion snus, or "svart portion", as the Swedes call it.  The flavor description for this one says, "Maximum taste - low drip.  Dark and smoky tobacco character with hints of tar, dried fruit and licorice."  Each can weighs 21.6g and has 24 portions for 0.9g portions.  The nicotine content is 12mg/g (1.2%), or 10.8mg/portion.

When you open the can, the aroma that greets you is a smoky tobacco smell with hints of tar and wood. The portions come in the familiar star formation, and are a sleek black color, just like General Onyx. These are basically just white portions that come in a different color. The flavor is smoky right off the bat, with hints of tar, and a little oak. The tobacco taste is mild, and in the background. I also notice a very light hint of licorice in the background. It reminds me of General Smoky Oak in a white portion, with licorice. Or, it kind of reminds me of General Mackmyra without whiskey. The nicotine feels to be around the strong level and I find the flavor lasts around 45 minutes on average.

This was a pretty interesting product.  It's not something I'd use full time, but I could see myself grabbing a can of it here and there.  If you liked General Smoky Oak, you're going to love this one!

Comments