Onico Peppermint (White Portion) - Review. 24 April 2017.

Review Updated:  16 February 2019

I've had a lot of people ask over the years for me to review more tobacco and nicotine free products. I reviewed one Onico product back in 2010, Onico+, but that's the only one I've reviewed from that line.  One thing I've always found neat about Onico is that, since it doesn't contain tobacco, they can advertise it in Sweden. I found this ad video recently, for example, which I highly suggest checking out.  Onico originally launched in 2006 and was designed for people who want to cut down on their snus usage.  On January 23rd, 2019, Swedish Match announced changes to Onico:  "New improvements to have a darker taste than before.  In the new recipe, bamboo fibers were replaced with cocoa fibers for a more dark and fruity taste."  This is why I'm revisiting this product, due to the new flavor changes.

The flavor description for Onico Peppermint (White Portion) says, "A mellow tobacco-like taste with distinct notes of peppermint, along with hints of vanilla".  It comes in a 24 gram can with 24 portions for 1 gram portions!

Onico is a tobacco and nicotine free product, containing water, plant fibers, moisture preservatives, salts, acidity regulating agents and herbal additives. All the additives in Onico are food approved. Once doesn’t have any added sugar, but does have low levels of sugar due to it being naturally found in plant fibers. Onico originally contained corn starch when it was launched, but it no longer does, so no issues with the teeth and gums! It has a low carbohydrate content, and a basic pH level. This particular Onico product also contains a small amount of fluoride.  You can see the portions look similar to regular Swedish Snus, but the material inside the pouch looks different in color due to it being made from plant fibers and not tobacco.  Note, this product contains sodium fluoride (equivalent to 0.20 mg of fluoride per portion).

When you open the can, the aroma that comes through is a present smell of peppermint and vanilla. It reminds me a lot of Catch Collection Chill: Mint Vanilla and old favorite of mine!  When you put a portion in, you'll encounter a mild cooling sensation that you feel in your lip and throughout your mouth.  The flavor is also quite nice.  It's more mild than regular Swedish Snus, but it's an enjoyable flavor.  The taste is a mix of peppermint and vanilla.  Both of those tastes seem to come through in an equal mix, as well.  The taste lasts a good amount of time, usually 45 minutes to an hour.  As far as comparing it to the old Onico Peppermint, I didn't really notice a big change.  It's still just as good as I remember!

You may be asking, "Why would I use this?"  Well, there are a few cases.  I like to use it at night before bed.  Nicotine is a stimulant, so I don't like putting nicotine into my blood when I'm trying to fall asleep, but I do like the feeling of a portion in the lip, so I'll use this before bed.  Also, people who are trying to quit snus may find this a nice way to ease out of using snus.  I've also heard pregnant women who are snusers will use this instead of snus. If you're interested in trying this product, I've seen it for sale at SnusDirect.com!

Comments