General Extra Strong (Lös) - Review. 5 September 2015.

Review Updated: 16 December 2020


I've recently added a rating system to my reviews, and I've been going back and revisiting all the products I've reviewed in the past.  It's been a while since I've had General Extra Strong Loose.  I use the regular strength General Los from time to time, but I don't really ever use the Extra Strong version that often.  The flavor description of this snus says, "Strong and spicy tobacco character with hints of bergamot, as well as a hint of tea, hay and leather." This snus comes in a 42 gram can and has a nicotine content of 12mg/g (1.2%).  Usually, 12mg/g is a strong product, and extra strong starts at around the 16mg/g range.  However, if you bake a big enough prilla of this, it could be extra strong, I imagine.

The aroma of General ES Los is much like other General products, but with more tobacco presence. There is a rich, earthy tobacco smell, a mild hit of bergamot, and a little smokiness. The grind is a lot like other Swedish Match loose snus - incredibly easy to work with and bake! The taste is a lot like the aroma, and has the same great taste as other General products. As with most loose snus, I notice more of a tobacco taste in this than the portion version. The tobacco taste is robust, rich, and present. The bergamot flavor comes through in a clear, gentle way and serves as a nice compliment to the tobacco taste. There's a mild hint of pepper in the background, and just a little smokiness, as well. The los stays together pretty well in the lip and doesn't fall apart or slide much, and I find I can enjoy the flavor for up to 45 minutes on average. Usually with los, I bake 1 gram to 2 gram prillas and with a 1 gram prilla it does feel to be between the strong and extra strong level. When I bake 2 gram prillas, I definitely can notice a much stronger kick. So the nicotine really depends on you and how big you bake your prillas.

Rating and Final Thoughts

General is my favorite snus, so naturally this is going to rate quite highly for me.  It comes in at 4.33 out of 5, which is one of my highest rated products.  It's a little stronger than I prefer (which is why the effect rating is a little lower), but it has a great taste, and a really slick can design.  If you're a loose snus fan, this is definitely one to check out.  It's one of the best loose products on the market!  And General truly is the king of snus!

This product available for purchase at SnusDirect.com!



Comments