Probe Whiskey (Portion) Review (Discontinued). 24 October 2014.

This product has been discontinued and is no longer for sale.

Probe Whiskey Los back in 2011, I actually remarked that I hadn't reviewed this yet. And I've had it a few times over the past 5 years that I've been writing about snus, but for some reason I never wrote a review about it. That all changes, however, because this weekend I'm catching up on the last reviews that I've been missing to complete our review section. I ordered a can from The Northerner and I'm finally getting around to reviewing it. If you've talked to me before on the forums or read past reviews, you already know I'm not the biggest fan of the portion version of this product. The loose wasn't too bad, however. I did find that I'm less of a fan now that I've had Islay Whisky snus. But to be fair to my readers, I review all products, even the ones I'm not a fan of. I'm the self proclaimed guinea pig of snus world.

When it comes to this product, the description says, "A taste of tobacco. Whisky and smokey aroma." I want to differentiate this product and Islay Whisky snus, however. Islay Whisky snus is flavored with, of course, Islay Whisky. When it comes to Probe Whiskey Snus, it's flavored with Kentucky Bourbon. So the flavors are quite different. When you open the can, the aroma is a sweet smell of bourbon and earthy tobacco. The flavor is where it lost me. I don't know what it is, but I just couldn't get into it. It's a taste of bourbon, a little tobacco flavor, a slight smokey hint, a little pepper, a touch of salt and a little chocolatey taste in the background. But it's a little on the sweet side, which is where I think this one loses me. I'm not sure why, I just don't dig the flavor. There are very few Swedish Match products I don't like - Kronan is another one.

That being said, this snus does appeal to some people.  Dippers that I've talked to who come over to snus enjoy this one, particularly people who said they enjoyed "straight" flavored dip, or "whiskey flavored dip".  Also, people who come from American "snus" who enjoy Kentucky Bourbon have told me they enjoy this one.  So it's hit and miss.  For me, it's a miss.  But I suggest everyone who is new to snus to try as much as possible, so this one may be one you enjoy.

Comments

Post a Comment