Kronan Stark Vit (White Portion) - Review. 3 May 2013.

Review Updated: 28 October 2017

This week, I'm revisiting the entire Kronan line. In August, 2011 I reviewed Kronan Original Portion, in May 2013 I reviewed Kronan Stark Vit, in October 2014 I reviewed Kronan Stark Original, in September 2015 I reviewed Kronan Los, and in November 2014 I reviewed Kronan Vit.  Kronan is a snus I've never been able to get into, but I figured it's been a few years since I've tried most of this line so why not revisit it? After all, I wasn't a big fan of Göteborgs Rapé when I first tried it, but I fell in love with it when I reviewed the Göteborgs Rapé Slim Can version in 2013.  Now, speaking about Kronan, the name  means “the crown” in Swedish. It was created in 2005 as a reaction to the taxes being raised on snus. In fact, one of the Swedish Match tobacco masters was once quoted as saying “We can't really do anything about the taxes but we can cut costs as much as possible while still providing a good product." The product line was redesigned in March 2017, so I figured it was a good time to revisit Kronan!

The flavor description for Kronan Stark Vit (White) says, “Dark and powerful tobacco character with elements of violet and citrus, and a little green herbs.”  This product comes in a 19.2 gram can and now has 24 portions!  The portions weigh in at 0.8 grams each. The nicotine clocks in at 12mg/g (1.2%) which breaks down to 9.60mg/portion.

When you open the can, the aroma that greets you is a dark, earthy tobacco smell. The herbal aroma seems to be more present than regular Kronan Vit, as does the violet. I didn’t notice much dill in the aroma. The portions are soft, and feel comfortable in the lip. When it comes to the taste, I found this one to be more approachable than the other portion versions. The flavor starts as a rich, dark tobacco taste with a mild herbal presence in the background and a gentle hint of lemon. There’s a light presence of dill, but it’s not as present as the other 3 products I reviewed. I also didn’t notice as much violet in the taste. It’s there, but it’s very faint. The flavor on Kronan Stark Vit lasts up to about an hour. The nicotine feels to be stronger than a regular strength snus, but it isn’t too strong or overbearing.

First of all, I will say that of the 4 portion versions of Kronan, this is the one that I found to taste the best.  It's still not for me, but of the 4 I found this one to be the better tasting one. Doing a price comparison at SnusBolaget.se, Kronan Stark Vit is priced at 27kr (3.29 USD). Compare that to General Extra Strong Portion at 41kr (4.99 USD) and you’ll see that Kronan is a much cheaper alternative for the budget conscious snuser!  But at the end of the day, I still can't get into Kronan.  But I can say I tried!

This product available for purchase at SnusDirect.com!

Comments