Skruf Selection (White) Review. 22 October 2012.

There's a new Skruf on the market, and it's borrowing a page from a former love of mine, General Green Harvest. Skruf Selection is described as, "NEW: Skruf White Portion, but produced from naturally grown tobacco: A taste of pure and mild tobacco with natural bergamot rose oils."  This new Skruf offering comes in a neat green can with a leaf on the top and a 2 on the Skruf Scale Of Power as I've so affectionately dubbed it.  The side of the can has some Swedish on it, which when put into the Google machine tells me, "A unique product created through passion for details", or something like that.  My Swedish isn't the best and the writing is in some kind of script.  Anyways, what's this snus have going for it?  It's made from naturally grown tobacco, which I assume means without pesticides like the General Green Harvest was.  I assume Skruf saw the sales figures from Green Harvest and said, "Hey, let us in on some of THAT!"  Not knocking them, it's smart.  I'd probably do the same thing.  It's why Dr. Pepper has a billion knock off products.

I've heard that this snus itself is basically Skruf White Portion, but with natural tobaccos.  I've noticed a difference in the aroma and the taste, though, so I'm going to disagree with those opinions.  When you open the can, the familiar citrus aroma comes through but without the underlying sweetness (due to the rose oil) I'm used to with most Skruf offerings.  The taste is also a little more different.  The citrus taste has been dialed back, the rose oil isn't that noticable, and the tobacco taste is more front and center than usual, it has a very natural but neutral taste to it.  It's really interesting.  The flavor matures and kinda mellows out about 30 minutes into it and has the balance of a traditional Swedish flavor profile, but very subdued.  Not bland, just not in your face.  It's interesting. I tried translating the description on Skruf's website and basically got something about the tobacco being a blend of Brazilian tobacco and Pennsylvanian tobacco, Skruf calls it a "very rare blend", and that it is, I can't recall these two tobaccos ever being blended together before.  If you're a snus lover, it's definately worth checking out just to try this blend, it's very interesting.  If you're a Skruf fan and you're expecting the Skruf taste, it's not what I expected, but it's still a pretty decent snus.

Comments