General Wintergreen (White Portion) - Review. 2 May 2015.

Review Updated: 26 January 2020


The General brand, in the US, went through a redesign back in late 2018/early 2019. Since all the products have a brand new look, I figured they deserved a brand new review. To preface this review, as I do anytime I review a wintergreen product, I'm not a big fan of wintergreen products. But they're very popular with US snusers, so I make sure to review them anyway. The flavor description for this product says, "Our most invigorating blend starts with an earthy tobacco flavor and ends with a subtly sweet Wintergreen taste." This product comes in a 24 gram can with 24 portions for 1 gram portions. The nicotine content, I believe, is 8mg/g. Most stores list it as "medium", but I believe it's 8mg/g like other regular strength products. If you want to try it, you can use the store locator at GeneralSnus.com, or you can buy it online.

One thing I hear about often is the pouches breaking whenever you fluff them (rolling them around to loosen up the tobacco). This has been an issue since 2009, and it's still happening today. The wintergreen oils cause the pouches to split open at the seams, so if you fluff these you have to do it very gently or they'll bust open and you'll lose your snus. I haven't had them bust open in my mouth, but it happens from time to time when I fluff them before I put the portion in my lip.

Alright, here we go - let's talk about General Wintergreen (White Portion).  When you open the can, the aroma is a predominant wintergreen smell. It's not too bold, but it's there. There's also a light touch of sweetness to it, as well. Looking at the portions, they come in the Swedish Match star formation. They are wedged to get into that shape, so I suggest fluffing them to loosen the tobacco up. But as mentioned above, be gentle or they'll pop open at the end. The portions are feel soft to the touch and are comfortable in the lip. The taste is a lot like the aroma: a present but gentle flavor of wintergreen with a light touch of sweetness. The flavor, on average, lasts about an hour. The nicotine feels to be at the regular strength level, as well.

Rating and Final Thoughts

Of the wintergreen snus products out there, this is probably my least favorite.  Don't get me wrong, sometimes I get a craving for it, but it's not anything I'd use full time.  In terms of wintergreen, this snus has the boldest, most straightforward American wintergreen flavor of all the wintergreen products on the market.  That being said, for people who like wintergreen, you'd probably love this snus.  I rated it at 3.04 out of 5, which is a lower score.  But if I give it a low score, that means people who like wintergreen will probably love it.  

This product available for purchase at SnusExpress.com!



Comments

  1. I have to agree with you on this one. I keep getting it as my free mystery can from getsnus.com and it is horrible. It smells like toothpaste flavored tobacco. This product was probably meant to target the heavy menthol smokers and chewing tobacco market. I still have a can in my freezer that I have no idea what to do with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that's why they made it - to target that market, especially those going from dip to snus, as wintergreen is VERY popular.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment