W.E. Garrett & Son's Sweet Snuff (Nasal Snuff) - Review. 10 May 2022.

I started using nasal snuff over a decade ago, but I've never really reviewed it until recently.  I've always been partial to certain brands, but now that I review it I've been branching out and trying more types of snuff.  I've mostly been doing snuff products from Europe but I've had some requests to check out some American stuff, particularly American scotch snuffs.  So, today we're talking about an American Snuff Co product:  W.E. Garrett and Son's Sweet Snuff!  I recently acquired this one, along with some others, from a local tobacco store here in Arkansas.  They cost around $15 a can, but they're a little bigger than the European snuff cans, so it about equals out.  There's not much info out there about these, but I was able to find a flavor description on MrSnuff.com that describes the taste like so:  "Mild tobacco with a subtle sweetness".  Each container is 1.15oz, or 32.6g (about as much weight as a can of American dip).  The side label on the can says it contains 41% US tobacco and 59% imported tobacco.

Now, for a little snuff history!  This is an older brand of snuff; I've been able to find advertisements for it from back in 1947.  W.E. Garrett and Son's was founded back in 1851, however since 1900 it's been under the American Snuff Co label.  So, this is a pretty old brand, even older than many dip products on the US market today.  For those who aren't aware, I wanted to add a note, American Snuff Co is the manufacturer of Grizzly and Kodiak American Moist Snuff/Dip.

One thing you'll notice about this one is that it's a pretty full tin.  It wasn't full to the top like some of the others I bought, but still, pretty full!  It's smoky in aroma, but not as smoky as Garrett Scotch.  It has a mild base tobacco, and almost a graham cracker like presenece to it.  It's a dry/fine snuff, which is my preference when it comes to nasal snuff!  I find this one pretty easy to take, as well.  In the nose, this is a milder one.  It's more gentle than others.  It's smoky, but not as smoky as the Scotch version.  It has a light sweetness and, again, it reminds me a lot of the smell of a graham cracker.  It has a mild drip to it, that is sweet in nature.  It doesn't have a really heavy throat hit, though.  The nicotine on this one is about moderate.  In terms of after-effect, a little sweetness will linger about, but that's about it.

Rating and Final Thoughts

Going into this, I wasn't sure what to expect.  Most times, European tobacco products are way better than American ones.  However, I was pretty impressed with this one, and the other US snuffs I recently found.  I rated this one at 3.46/5.  I like the Garrett Scotch snuff better, but this one honestly isn't too bad.  I found it pretty easily in my state, so if you're in the South, you may be able to find it.  I see it more often in specialty pipe and cigar shops.  But, nasal snuff is pretty common where I live.  If you like a sweeter snuff, I think you'll enjoy this one!



Comments